cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5s keep connecting to GPRS

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I am on my second iphone 5s in a week . The first one keeps losing 3G signal and changing to GPRS , which means if I'm out and about I cannot connect to internet or check e mails etc . I have spoken to customer services and changed a few thins , I went into O2 shop and they check SIM card and that was ok . I have received new phone today and it is only doing same thing so it can't be the handset this time . Has anyone any ideas ? Does O2 need to send settings to my phone !!!??? I have been with orange for years and never had a problem or on my iPhone 4S !
Message 1 of 134
133 REPLIES 133

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive just ploughed my way through this hoping for a solution without luck.

I to have the same issue, regualrly losing 3G signal, Edge not being recognised as a data signal and having to toggle airplane mode to regaing 3G signal temporarily. Incidently I find the issue worst when I am at work in Belfast. I have reset network settings, checked the service status, turned off 4G without any joy.

I have identified qa number of additional steps through the previous posts so il go through them in the hope something works!

Message 101 of 134

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145110 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27833 Solutions
Unfortunately all to common an issue in fringe 3G areas.
Turning off 4G has been the most successful fix previously though.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 102 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turning off 4G has made no difference for me unfortunately.

I wouldnt have thought Belfast was considered a fringe 3G area?

I will call into a store and see if a SIM swap makes any difference.

Message 103 of 134

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
If that doesn't resolve the issue it would be as well to get the phone checked out at the Apple store.
Message 104 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Turning off 4G has made no difference for me unfortunately.

I wouldnt have thought Belfast was considered a fringe 3G area?

I will call into a store and see if a SIM swap makes any difference.

Likewise no difference turning off 4G. What we really need is the ability to turn off 2G, then we will see exactly what O2's 3G network is like. From my experience though everywhere seems to be "fringe" 

Yesterday may well have been the last straw for me - afternoon in central Cambridge, couldn't even check the cricket score - no data connection even on the few occasions I did manage to get a 3G signal. O2's own network app said I had no internet on GPRS, EDGE or 3G

Tomorrow I pay off the Refresh balance and unlock the phone.....

Message 105 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree @Anonymous

Thankfully it looks like O2 are slowly re introducing the 3G toggle in their updates. slight_smile
Message 106 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have exactly the same on my 5 (not 5s). I also know a few of my colleagues do. I only get 3G when in twins and cities, but GPRS everywhere else.

For example I only get GPRS along the majority of the A303 and the M3. It was only today I toggled "enable 3G" off and on, then I got 3G for a couple of minutes, before it switched back again.

As I'm not on a 4G tariff, there doesn't appear to be an option to disable that. I have tried sim swap and that's made no difference.

I am so frustrated with O2. I am a business user on a business tariff, and now pay Three money every month to use one of their MiFi devices. I keep it in the car and get 3G virtually everywhere. I have to connect my phone to that via WiFi.
Message 107 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I got my 5s unlocked and have been trialling a 3 sim. Pretty good results so far. Obviously there's no 2G signal to fall back to, but even with 1-dot 3G data works just fine - on O2 I would drop back to Edge/GPRS with no data access.

I have yet to put it to the ultimate test - a day out in deepest Suffolk / Norfolk, but so far the only negative is the very patchy signal at home (2-dot 3G sometimes upstairs, nothing downstairs). Here O2 recovers some ground with a solid 2G signal throughout the house (and village)

Now do I dare try out EE? By all accounts they are the pits - but they do allegedly have 4G already in Cambridge (three have limited 4G there). And despite all the negative reviews 4.2 million 4G customers can't all be dissatisfied can they?

Message 108 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
"He who dares , wins"

Seriously tho give them a go.

My speeds on ee 4g we're strong, but no stable way of making a call 😞
Message 109 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
 but no stable way of making a call 😞

That doesn't sound too good Shocked