Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to move data plan to new apple watch

peacegold
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have had an apple watch linked to my O2 mobile tariff since 2020. I upgraded to a new watch on Monday  and during the process of transferring settings etc. to the new watch I selected the option to transfer my existing data plan. It didn't work, I got an error (82 I think?).

I called 202 and they were unhelpful and advised me to go to an O2 store for help; I did this, and the agent watched as I repeated the steps to set up the data plan and get the same result - tap here to buy a new plan. I asked them to just remove the old plan and I'd buy a new one but apparently this can't be done in an O2 Shop, I need to call 202. So, I went home and did this. The agent on the phone said need to go to a shop to cancel my data tariff and buy a new one.

I called 202 one more time and actually got someone helpful, who said my data pan could be transferred to my new watch but it may take a while to arrive; I would get an email link to set up data on new watch. It may take a while.... 24 hours later - nothing.

29 Nov I called 202 again -  got through to the Business Support who couldn't help - apparently O2 custimer service lines are down this morning.

I am at my wits end with O2's incompetence, and I'm paying for a data plan I can't use.

Anyone have any advice other than dump O2 and go elsewhere with both mobile & watch plans?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

mrdel
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

same issue no help from o2 2 weeks now... I have an error 08

Message 11 of 20

peacegold
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I'm still waiting! I was given a fault ticket number and told it would take up to 7 days to resolve, so I waited 8 working days before calling back: As usual, O2 staff were very polite but useless/powerless. The agent put me on hold for  few minutes while checking problem status with another team, came back and said still not fixed yet.

I said I was considering cancelling the data plan and possibly moving phone and watch to another provider, but I will wait a bit longer - mainly because @Oxonian rightly pointed out - other providers are also having similar issues.

Message 12 of 20

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5904 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@peacegold 

@mrdel 

@OtootheIrony 

Please keep us updated on developments. 

Message 13 of 20

peacegold
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

If anyone out there is still interested, here's a little update:  I've called O2 a few times referencing the fault report number I was given and always got the same answer - someone will call me back in the next day or 2 which never do. Last time I called was Jan 8th to query why I'm still paying for data that I'm not getting, and they refunded me the data sim charge. I have pretty much got used to the annoyance of not having mobile data for my watch, but I do want it back.

This morning at 08:20 I got a call from an unknown number saying they were from O2. Tbh, I thought it was a scam call but it was about my fault report. The caller went over everything to check it was correct and complete, and said they were forwarding my ticket to the network team. So, let's see what happens.

Exciting times eh?

Message 14 of 20

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5904 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@peacegold 

It sounds like progress ! 😅

Message 15 of 20

peacegold
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Message 16 of 20

peacegold
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Final update on this problem.

I got a call from someone at O2 on Friday 2nd Feb – 67 days after raising the issue.

The O2 Rep sounded knowledgable and seemed like he knew his stuff, although I’m not certain what he told me is 100% true. Hoewever, given the number of people with this problem, what he said could be legit.

He told me that because of changes Apple have made (either hardware or watch OS) it is no longer possible to transfer an O2 data plan to a new watch. It will just not be recognised by the new device - like it's already in use/paired with different device.

Basically, O2 have cancelled my old plan and I get to decide whether to buy a new one or not. I have been refunded for the time I was paying for a plan that I couldn’t use.

Before I ended the call I asked why O2 are still telling people how to transfer a data plan if it’s not going to work? He replied that he’s just a contractor picking up the backlog of fault tickets. This is one reason why I’m uncertain that the explanation he gave me is true.

O2 are an omnishambles.

Message 17 of 20

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@peacegold 

Apple keep making changes to the back end of the Apple Stack, and to be honest Apple have made it a lot more difficult to do a lot of things, so I am tempted to believe him... (as an Apple Enterprise customer we have so many issues with Apple devices). 

I would just start again, and then take it from there... Between them both the Apple Watches are a mess...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 18 of 20

peacegold
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yes, I tend to agree that this guy was telling it like it is. Apple aren't really worried about playing nice with anyone but Apple - and they don't always get that right! 😉

I don't undserstand why O2 haven't posted this information anywhere on their website. It would save a lot of time and hassle for both customers and O2 Support.

Message 19 of 20

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36137 Posts
  • 229 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

@peacegold wrote:

Yes, I tend to agree that this guy was telling it like it is. Apple aren't really worried about playing nice with anyone but Apple - and they don't always get that right! 😉

I don't undserstand why O2 haven't posted this information anywhere on their website. It would save a lot of time and hassle for both customers and O2 Support.

Like you said, @peacegold: omnishambles 🙄

Message 20 of 20