Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot activate iphone after updating iOS

nomadsoul
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently updated iOS but yet again, it did not correctly update my iphone and I had to restore it to factory settings, losing everything on it. But, I now get an error message - "Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached. Try connecting your iPhone to iTunes to activate it, or try again in a few minutes."

It then suggests contacting Apple Support, which I've done, although they weren't particularly helpful. I've tried rebooting my laptop, dsconnecting and reconnecting my iPhone and I've gone through the restore process again. The SIM card is in my phone - I've taken it out and put it back in. I'm now at my wits end. iOS causes problems EVERY time. I know that's an Apple issue but I'm concerned that the activation is more related to the phone and O2. 

Anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@nomadsoul

Not me as I haven't got an iphone. However @adamtemp64 @MI5 and @Anonymous(to name but three) have.

I would suggest a visit to your nearest Apple store if they can't help?

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Certainly sounds like a phone problem as it can't see a data connection.
Make sure you're logged on to a good WiFi signal or in a good 4g area.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

nomadsoul
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks guys. I'm on WiFi and I sit right next to the router (I'm using the same WiFi connection to use this website right now). My phone shows a full mobile signal and a full WiFi signal. It's so frustrating. I'm guessing it's an Apple issue but was just curious about any connection issues with O2. 

My nearest Apple store is in London so looks like I'll be without a usable phone for some time until I can get in there. 

Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Try it with WiFi off?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 13

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I think an Apple store is your best option no matter how much inconvenience its involved. If they can't sort the software out in site they will simply replace it for you  It's always best to make an appointment first 

https://www.apple.com/hk/en/retail/geniusbar/

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
If it can’t update properly then it’ll be an Apple issue. I’d recommend a Genius Bar appointment for possible repair or replacement seeing as this keeps happening. Don’t use O2 for a repair though
Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@nomadsoul

Just check Apple store near you. I know you said London and although our nearest one is in Birmingham they do have smaller franchise stores who can do the same thing.

My son had a problem with his iPhone and we found a smaller store in Coleshill which ran the same diagnostic tests and actually fixed the issue. No cost as it was still under warranty.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@nomadsoul Sorry been working did Apple get you to work through the steps here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201407 ?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 13

nomadsoul
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After seeing some of the replies on an Apple forum, it seems that it's a problem with the iPhone 7. One guy seems to think if you take it to a Genius Bar, they'll replace the phone for free - after all, it's Apple's fault. Others think they won't and you're left with an expensive paperweight! I think after paying over £800 for the damn thing, they'll be replacing it if they want me to leave quietly!! The phone was perfectly OK until I updated it. 

Thanks all for your inputs. 

Message 10 of 13