Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple watch cellular set up

Ian52
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I'm getting nowhere fast with O2 support on this one, so hoping the community can help.
I've got an iPhone 7+ and Apple watch SE cellular. Neither tied to a network and both bought before joining O2. Got a SIM only contact now with O2 that has decent amount data allowance.
Trouble is, it won't let me set up the Mobile Data to use the watch remotely from the phone. O2 support have said four times to select "Set up mobile data" in the Watch app on the phone and I've told them four times that I can't because it is greyed out and says "Your O2 account isn't compatible with Apple Watch. Contact O2 for more info".
Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ian52
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
So this eventually got sorted. The reason that the "Your O2 account isn't compatible with Apple Watch" message appeared in the Watch app on my iPhone was because the watch needs an additional data plan on top of your phone data plan. I couldn't add the additional data plan for the watch because I had set a zero spending cap on my account. Once I had changed the spending cap to be £5/mth (the min for the watch dataplan) it should have all worked, but there was a delay of nearly two weeks before the spending cap change took effect. This might have been automatic or someone at O2 made the change for me but didn't let me know they were implementing the cap change. Either way, it starting working 2 weeks after I increased the spending cap.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Ian52 

Had a number of these lately and O2 seem incapable of rectifying the issue do far.

I'll tag our account advisers @O2Emma on for a short while tonight or @O2Trevski @O2Nathan @O2nath_ci on tomorrow

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
@Ian52

In order to setup the Watch to use data and be useful when you are out and about without WiFi, you need a Apple Watch Data Plan which is £5 per month

The advice o2 are giving you is correct, you need to set it up in the Apple Watch App.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207578

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/apple-watch
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 16

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

I will pick this up thanks @MI5 grin

signature
Message 4 of 16

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @Ian52 I will need to private message you to look into this further.

signature
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

Thanks @O2Emma 

The common thread is "account not eligible"

iData and wifi calling have been checked on other customers accounts but still not allowing activation of the watch data plan.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

@MI5 I am aware of this error message there is a few things like if the contract on simo is new details on my o2 match that can prevent the set up of new apple watch data plan.

If all is correct we can escalate further grin

O2Emma

signature
Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Good news slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

O2Trevski
  • 15 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @M15

I’ll message you privately @ian52and look in to this for you

Message 9 of 16

Ian52
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
So this eventually got sorted. The reason that the "Your O2 account isn't compatible with Apple Watch" message appeared in the Watch app on my iPhone was because the watch needs an additional data plan on top of your phone data plan. I couldn't add the additional data plan for the watch because I had set a zero spending cap on my account. Once I had changed the spending cap to be £5/mth (the min for the watch dataplan) it should have all worked, but there was a delay of nearly two weeks before the spending cap change took effect. This might have been automatic or someone at O2 made the change for me but didn't let me know they were implementing the cap change. Either way, it starting working 2 weeks after I increased the spending cap.
Message 10 of 16