Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional phone no longer used other than for FaceTime

LucyAbbotts
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello.  I have an iPhone which we have given to my mother in law to make FaceTime calls with family members.  I'm on a contract which I think I can cancel as the phone is not used in any other way, but just wondered if anyone knows if this is correct.  I absolutely need the FaceTime facility to keep working, and COVID-19 guidance means that we can't easily visit to provide tech support (!).  All suggestions gratefully received.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@LucyAbbotts 

As long as you have paid off the device fully, you can cancel the airtime.

Facetime will still work OK over wifi.

Guide: How does O2 Refresh work? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

LucyAbbotts
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Brilliant, thank you and sorry to have left it 8 months before replying. Do you know (we are still in the exact same situation) if the phone number will continue to work regardless, if we stop the airtime plan? Just for WhatsApp /FaceTime - there is a wifi network which the phone is already connected to. Thanks!
Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@LucyAbbotts 

Facetime and iMessage will work without a number as it will use the email address attached to the Apple ID.

WhatsApp may not though as it needs to see an active phone number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4