Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old phone number associated with iMessage on iPhone

calski
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just got a new iPhone 11 on a contract with O2. When the phone arrived, I set it up using a temporary phone number (ending -410) and – unintentionally – managed to add this temporary phone number to iMessages for 'Send & Receive'.

Yesterday, O2 ported over my old O2 Business phone number (ending -227) to the SIM card in the device, deactivating the temporary number (-410) and replacing it with my old (and now current) phone number (-227). So -227 is the number that I want in my phone and is active; -410 is the temporary number and is no longer active (I want it gone). I can't re-insert a different SIM card with the old number to remove it that way, as the number that I want (-227) has overwritten the number on the original temporary SIM card (-410).

The problem is that my phone now seems to be linked to a number that no longer exists (-410). When I rang this number, to check that the port worked out, it cannot be recognised, so it's definitely not active any more. But whenever I text anybody with an iPhone, it comes up on their phone as being from the number ending -410, instead of my actual number -227.

I've tried signing out of iMessage and FaceTime on all of my devices; I've tried resetting my Apple password, but that number still remains.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@calski 

Go to Settings >phone >my number. 
Edit to your number and save then reboot phone. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@calski 

Go to Settings >phone >my number. 
Edit to your number and save then reboot phone. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

calski
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Problem solved. Many thanks. Didn't even know that setting existed...

Seems a bit odd that it doesn't just pull the number from the SIM card as you could surely just enter any number you like?!

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

It's because your sim has the wrong number on it @calski and o2 don't push the ported number to the sim. 
You could enter any number but iMessage and FaceTime wouldn't activate unless it was correct. 

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4