cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage on iOS 7 not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

1st message so please be kind, I couldn't find a thread similar to this topic...

I updated to iOS 7 last night, and now I don't have access to iMessage from my telephone number.  It works with my gmail & iCloud email addresses but not on my phone number.

Plus it hasn't activated yet.  I love my iPhone 5 and it is doing my head in to get it sorted.  I have tried all the work arounds on the web that I can find (reset settings, turn off & on wifi and airplane mode).  Plus I have rebooted the phone.  Strangely I get this or something similar sent to me by text message every time I try to activate it. 

ùéèΩy@@REG-RESP?v=3;r=7c062cb8;n=+447545062465;s=02523CACB1FFFFFFFF5DC73BE887207BC3812FBBD180CEB14C711010C3

The same thing is happening with my wife's iPhone 4 when updated to iOS 7.  I have called O2 couldn't get through as everyone is upgrading, therefore I contacted O2 via chat and they said it is a issue and will be resolved, when?

Does anyone what is going on or what to do?

Message 1 of 107
106 REPLIES 106

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really feel your frustration.

Can I say take a step back and count to 10 wink for now.

Have you thought about booking an appointment with the Genius Bar at your most local Apple Store.

This is what they are here for.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/

Message 21 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried all the suggested fixes and finally did a full restore to 'naked' iOS 7.01 plus the carrier update - none of these resolved the issue for me.

Hopefully O2 and Apple can fix this soon.

Message 22 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could book an appointment at the Genius Bar in your most local apple store for them to take a look.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/

I updated to iOS 7 on my ip5 and have iMessage capabilities so it's a bit up in the air what's amiss. Did you complete the carrier update after iOS 7 installed.
Message 23 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi - thanks for the reply - yes the carrier update wasn't a problem. Will see what happens after a day or two - after waiting in a line for 8 hours yesterday to get my 5s not in the mood for another Apple Store visit just yet!
Message 24 of 107

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The thing that helped mine activate that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere, in itunes when the iphone is connected the summary tab had my number as n/a

I went into settings> phone> my number deleted the correct info that was there re entered it using +447703 etc exited settings and rebooted the iphone.

Then went back to settings> messages turned i messages off and then back on and it activated.

I hope this may resolve your issue

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 25 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just had this from Apple's engineers for all those receiving random text messages from random numbers... they are Apple and this is the issue:

The message the customer is receiving is the iMessage/FaceTime activation acknowledgement, sent from Apple.
When activating iMessage/FaceTime, 1 silent text message for each service is sent to our activation server. The server then creates a response, which is sent as silent text message, back to the iPhone.
This way, we can trace each step and see where the activation might fail.

In this case, the silent SMS is received as normal SMS, visible to the customer. iOS cannot understand these SMS, as they do not contain a system trigger.

These kind of activation issues are carrier related, as their carrier SMS Broker converts the initial silent SMS response to a visible one.
In order to resolve this, the customer must consult the carrier and have their engineering team investigate the SMS Center.
The carrier must make certain that silent SMS can pass un-altered.
Apple has no control over settings on the carrier SMS Center side or other parts of the carrier infrastructure.

Please O2 help us out...!
Message 26 of 107

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jack94 you need to pass that info direct to o2 I doubt it will be picked up here

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 27 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tweeted O2 about this no reply.

I spoke to O2 and Apple yesterday and they said the same 'it's definitely a carrier issue' and O2 are working on a fox, but there is no ETA.
Message 28 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fix that should be. Hehe.
Message 29 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All

This is not just an iOS 7 problem, I have NOT updated and I have all the same stuff going on since yesterday (FRiday)

Looks like O2 to me !

Message 30 of 107