cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage on iOS 7 not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

1st message so please be kind, I couldn't find a thread similar to this topic...

I updated to iOS 7 last night, and now I don't have access to iMessage from my telephone number.  It works with my gmail & iCloud email addresses but not on my phone number.

Plus it hasn't activated yet.  I love my iPhone 5 and it is doing my head in to get it sorted.  I have tried all the work arounds on the web that I can find (reset settings, turn off & on wifi and airplane mode).  Plus I have rebooted the phone.  Strangely I get this or something similar sent to me by text message every time I try to activate it. 

ùéèΩy@@REG-RESP?v=3;r=7c062cb8;n=+447545062465;s=02523CACB1FFFFFFFF5DC73BE887207BC3812FBBD180CEB14C711010C3

The same thing is happening with my wife's iPhone 4 when updated to iOS 7.  I have called O2 couldn't get through as everyone is upgrading, therefore I contacted O2 via chat and they said it is a issue and will be resolved, when?

Does anyone what is going on or what to do?

Message 1 of 107
106 REPLIES 106

Anonymous
Not applicable

restored once, trying again now thanks

Message 11 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

I followed that guide completely and mine is still not fixed. Apple didnt know what else to do... rather frustrated!!

Message 12 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

Completed factory restore, just waiting for apps and music to restore, but still not activated on iMessage.

On the iMessage settings it doesn't show my tel number on the send receive section, when I entered my apple id it listed all my email addresses in black but my number was greyed out.

Message 13 of 107

Xander04
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am also having this issue. iPhone 5 upgraded to iOS7 yesterday.

Was advised of an update to carrier settings which I accepted. I am showing

carrier "O2 15.1" and Modem 5.00.01.

My phone has so far failed to activate iMessage and Face Time. I have followed all available web post and Apple support suggestions without luck.

I get an SMS delivered shortly after trying to activate either. Open it, read it and delete it. Reboot. Still no change.

I have noticed that some people suggest it can take 24hours and each time you try to re-activate it restarts the clock but I can't help thinking this is a Carrier Issue.

I have an iPad which I have just updated, on the Three network. iMessage & Face Time shown activated straight away.

I did both an upgrade on my phone last night and having found these issues, I did a clean install and set up as a new device. Made no difference.

I do seem to be able to send and receive iMessages though but no always and shows my e-mail address as sender and not my mobile number, therefore I am showing as unknown to people and have had several replies with "sorry who is this"

Fingers crossed O2 and/or Apple get this fixed soon. 

Message 14 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

3gs running 6.1.3 here.  O2 carrier version 14.0.  modem 05.16.08.

Exact same issue - can't get iMessage to activate and just get the SMS of garbage instead.

Erase everything + set up as new iPhone, same thing.

O2 says it's not their fault.  I know it is.  Orange sim works fine first time.

Not pleased as I've spent 4 hours looking at this now.

Message 15 of 107

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Well I fixed mine. Firstly my number was not at the top of the contacts list (it used to be but was deleted by the update. Secondly, I turned imessage off and then rebooted phone. Went back in and turned imessage on and then selected my number as the default for sending. All good now slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

tried that didn't work for me but thanks 

Message 17 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm also struggling to get imessage to activate. Have 4s. Tried everything. I haven't received any carrier update text though . Is this an O2 issue or apple? I know people also on O2 and theirs activated straight away? Losing the will. Do I ditch O2 ?
Message 18 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm also struggling to get imessage to activate. Have 4s. Tried everything. I haven't received any carrier update text though . Is this an O2 issue or apple? I know people also on O2 and theirs activated straight away? Losing the will. Do I ditch O2 ?

Hi,

It does appear to be all over not just o2.

Have a look at the Apple Forum.

I know its frustrating but to "ditch" your Network because one feature on your phone is not working, because of an OS Update by Apple not o2 seems a bit drastic.

A solution will present itsself they always do !

Message 19 of 107

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi- I know it's might seem drastic and is a bit of a knee jerk reaction. I rely so much on iMessage this activation bug is driving me up the wall 😞
Message 20 of 107