cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

videocall price

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys

been asked this question and not sure of the answer.

From a samsung phone on pay as you go with mobile data turned off, but can go on wifi.

On the contact page you can see a small green telephone and a small green video icon,if i phone someone by the video icon while at home and on wifi will it cost.

thanks in advance

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

If it's a function supported by O2 it will cost as it only works over 3g. You need to use Skype or Google etc to get free video calls over wifi.

Edit: Video calls are 50p per min http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Tariffs/paygo_charges_terms_intsim.html

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

If it's a function supported by O2 it will cost as it only works over 3g. You need to use Skype or Google etc to get free video calls over wifi.

Edit: Video calls are 50p per min http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Tariffs/paygo_charges_terms_intsim.html

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I doubt it would would work over wifi with data disabled. Whether it would automatically activate data I don't know but there are much more knowledgeable people on here who may be able to advise on that.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok thanks, will have a read
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you for the input
Message 5 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
You dont need data to be switched on as Video calls use CSD (Circuit Switched Data), so basically a data call, hence why it is charged per minute.

It uses the 3G-324M protocol for those interested...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for the info

Message 7 of 7