cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung phone fire !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thiis morning at 5am ish i was woken up by a crackling sound to my horror my phone was sparking smouldering. just before i was about to lift it the battery popped and burst into flames. the phone is now completely ruined and i have burns in my carpet and it has melted part of my bedroom window. there was no prior warnings and the phone was in good condition. This happened at 5 am in the morning and if i had not woken up i would not be here now asking for advice. i contacted your chat service today and ive got to be honest i should just have spoken to a lettuce. all the operator was saying was "we'll send you a new simcard" and " you will have to buy  new handset" !!! i'm going to have to replace the carpet and the part of the window tats melted so my last thought is buying a new phone !!!! he said id get my sim card for free..... i dont think he was taking my complaint seriously......

where do i stand on this? im fuming and im shaken by wat could have happened.

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122964 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I can't believe those awful pictures. Frightening. Thanks for posting them @Anonymous. A warning to everyone I think..Horrified

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to remember something similar a few years ago with I think Samsung S3 Minis.   There could well be postings on here about it.

From memory it had something to do with overheating causing the batteries to buckle and short

Message 12 of 48

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
The key to all this (and it's not just limited to Samsung either) is if the correct charger was used, if there was any other previous damage to battery, phone or charger and how long it was left on charge for.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
there was no damage, the phone was pugged into charge at approx 3am. and it was a samsung charger, the one that came with the phone.
Message 14 of 48

MI5
  • 144417 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
All you can do (as already said) is to contact Samsung and send everything back to them for investigation.
It looks to me like it was a battery failure, but you're better off letting Samsung do a proper investigation.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122964 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Yes  from the pictures shown it does look as if the heat source originated from the battery. Just awful...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 48

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23099 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Anonymous Please come back and update us after you hear back from Samsung. It might be of help to anyone else who has the same phone. Good luck.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 17 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes of course i will do. this shouldnt happen to anyone ever. they open at 10am so  i will be ready.

Message 18 of 48

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23099 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Anonymous What model is it, and how old? Is it still under warranty? If you still have the receipt and the box with the IMEI and serial number, that will help when you call Samsung.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 19 of 48

jonsie
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Pretty scary pictures and thank god you're ok. I leave my phones on charge overnight and have done for years. Maybe I'll think again now. Samsung will want the charger and cable too so photograph the markings on those too so that you have everything documented.

Message 20 of 48