cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi or no Wifi?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All, I'm new here and not technical at all.

I bought a £10 bundle and I have noticed that when I turn Wifi on it takes a pound off my remaining credit.  When the Wifi is off it seems to understand it is part of the bundle?  I thought using my Wifi I wouldn't be charged for using the internet let alone ordinary text messages?  (I've also noticed that if I put a smiley on my texts it is considered an MSM and not just an ordinary text and I am charged for this):robotfrustrated:

In a nutshell I don't understand when to use Wifi and when not toCrazy

Thanks in advance for any help

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
First your welcome about data.

Regarding wifi

It's free and wouldn't override the network.

If you have a payg allowances of texts and minutes they are taken from those allowances unless you've used them up.

Turning on wifi to connect to home wifi or a shops wifi wouldn't override those allowances.

You would only get charged if you sent texts as Mms as they are not included in your allowances.

I'd suggest phoning O2 on 4445 just to have your account looked at.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
The £1 is called web daily. This is for 50mb of data a day charged to payg customers who have used up their data allowance or have no data allowances.

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/pay-and-go-web-daily-web-daily-bolt-on-monthy-web-bolt...

Wifi is 100% free.

When on wifi turn off mobile data in your phones settings to stop the charge or add a bolt on or pick a payg tariff with data in it if you want to connect to O2 internet.

Adding an emoticon makes the text a mms.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

Mms info.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...

What's app and viber are cheaper alternatives to the 40p per mms O2 charge.
Message 2 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I bought a £10 bundle and I have noticed that when I turn Wifi on it takes a pound off my remaining credit.  When the Wifi is off it seems to understand it is part of the bundle? 

Hi and welcome on board slight_smile

This is confusing as WiFi is free but mobile data comes out of your allowance.

I'm wondering if you are not connecting to the WiFi properly - Maybe worth a check ?

I see you have already been given a link to a post I made about MMS charges so I'll leave you to read through that but feel free to shout up if there is anything you're not sure about at all.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for reply Band of Brothers

"When on wifi turn off mobile data in your phones settings to stop the charge or add a bolt on or pick a payg tariff with data in it if you want to connect to O2 internet."

I followed these instructions by going to 'more networks' then 'mobile networks' and then seeing the 'mobile data' ticked I unticked it and whilst having my wireless on I texted a friend, I was charged for the text.

Thanks for the threads explaining emoticons.

Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Basically turning off Mobile Data in your phones settings stops ANY connection to the O2 data network.

Also as MMS needs a data connection you won't be able to send this type of text message.
Message 5 of 26

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Do you not have a text allowance? What tariff at you on?

Texts go through the network not via wifi.

Message 6 of 26

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Lizard wrote: 

I followed these instructions by going to 'more networks' then 'mobile networks' and then seeing the 'mobile data' ticked I unticked it and whilst having my wireless on I texted a friend, I was charged for the text.

Unfortuantely WiFi only gives you free access to data.

Calls & texts would still be chargeable (or come out of your allowance).

If you want to send free texts over WiFi you need to use another app such as BBM or Whatsapp.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the link to the available options for payg tariffs.

Take a look to see if one better matches your usage pattern.

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/payandgo
You can choose a new tariff via your myo2, live chat or by ringing 4445 (25p per call)

Let us know how you get on.
Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you to you all!    What a friendly forum this is.  Reading through all the posts I'm beginning to understand what is involved.  I have the £10 bundle, which has from recollection 90mins free calls, oodles of free texts and 500mb data per month.  Am I right in thinking that data means using email and the internet on the phone, and perhaps other apps?

This is probably such a basic question:manembarrassed: but if I get to grips with it I might start enjoying the phone rather than being intimidated by it at the moment!

Message 9 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Yes data is used for accessing the internet and reading e mails.

Also data is issued in the background to update your apps and for location services such as weather etc.
Message 10 of 26