Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi anomalies since update

HHGTTG
Level 3: Thinker
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Bought a Samsung A3 (2017) phone last Autumn and it's excellent but almost soon after buying it it started nagging me to update from vers 6 Nougat to vers 7 Marshmallow. I downloaded to file (over 1Gb) but did not install it for months and so the nag was always there with the occasional full screen asking me 'now' 'overnight' or 'later'. I always chose 'later'. 

However, the other day I was using the phone and I don't know what happened but the phone started installing the update but eventually it re-started and everything seemed OK and mercifully I was not nagged anymore.

However now when I bring my phone out of standby, the WiFi will sometimes turn itself ON automatially when I don't want it or will connect to previously used networks when in their vicinity. I alway keep WiFi, Bluetooth and Mobile data etc OFF until I want them on in order so as to optimise battery life but now I really have to keep an eye out for that WiFi icon at the top of the phone.

Has anyone got any ideas as apparently I am not the only one who has trouble with this phenomenon.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks for the replies folks, though some suggest it's normal and yet others now suggest an abnormality since the update.
I did download The Weather Channel again after booting it out many moons ago and that requires Location to be activated and for this setting I have always had my phones on 'Battery Saving'. Similarly the BBC Weather App also requires Location as indeed do several more including Google Maps otherwise they don't know where I am.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@HHGTTGWhen my WiFi is off (rarely) my Android phone automatically flicks to Mobile Data. . I never have all of them off. I use one or the other. When you turn your phone on it is automatically seeking a network. That's what it's meant to do.

It's up to you what you do with your own phone but I always leave WiFi on....I don't find a problem with data usage. I only ever have bluetooth on when I need to use it

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
An app off Play store such as Green Power Defender (many others to choose from) will allow you to control the network connections yourself.
Your phone, in standard form, is doing as designed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Here’s some good info to read about some apps to try out
https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/396749-juice-defender-vs-gr...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
An app off Play store such as Green Power Defender (many others to choose from) will allow you to control the network connections yourself.
Your phone, in standard form, is doing as designed.

Maybe but it didn't do as I've described until after the update to Nougat (vers 7). 

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Features changed in 7.0 to allow the phone to control certain things itself.
Using an app gives you control back for the way you want to use the phone.
Most people just let the phone sort it out but if you want more control, you can with an app such as those above.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HHGTTG

When active wi-fi will always log onto previously used networks when they are within range, Android will use wi-fi wherever possible to prevent you accruing data charges.

If wi-fi is automatically toggling on following a resume from standby it suggests something weird is happening with Android, I'd suggest a settings reset first (which is different from a factory reset which will wipe all your data)

See here for guidance http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3075963/reset-android-losing-data.html

Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My phone running 7.0 does what it's supposed to do  If I switch WiFi off then it stays off as it should until I switch it back on. 

It suggests to me an app is controlling WiFi so have a look at app permissions particularly any downloads since the update. Or a factory reset.... 

Message 8 of 9

HHGTTG
  • 99 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks for the replies folks, though some suggest it's normal and yet others now suggest an abnormality since the update.
I did download The Weather Channel again after booting it out many moons ago and that requires Location to be activated and for this setting I have always had my phones on 'Battery Saving'. Similarly the BBC Weather App also requires Location as indeed do several more including Google Maps otherwise they don't know where I am.
Message 9 of 9