Did you mean: 

Using phone as sat nav

Waynefb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I bought a cheap, but up-to-date (ish) chinese phone (Cubot GT95), partly as I wanted more space & RAM to run it as a Sat Nav. It seems like a fairly capable phone.

However, using Google Maps, I get the error message 'No GPS Hardware - Turn-by-turn navigation is only available on devices with GPS Hardware.' slight_frown

How can I get round this?

Is there really something missing that will stop it working as a sat nav? (It can find my location no problem most of the time in other programmes eg weather.) Or is it a google glitch? Or do I need to do some downloading of clever bits of software???

Many many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give. I really want to make sat nav work on this.

Cheers,

Wayne

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Try rebooting the phone...
I'll go check the gaps settings on mine.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 31 of 41

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

Found something....

Touch the button on bottom right of map display and it will ask if you want to change settings to allow location services. Press settings and on next screen you have option to turn GPS on.

Screenshot_2014-08-15-22-35-33.png

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 32 of 41

Waynefb
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

you mean the location button? if so, i touch it, it highlights blue, but nothing else ensues!

Message 33 of 41

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
If nothing else happens it would imply that GPS is on.
Nothing happens on mine with it on, it's only if I turn it off it asks me to go to settings to turn it on.
If the app is still saying there's no GPS it must be faulty? 😞
Message 34 of 41

Waynefb
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

And yet it knows where I am at all times!

How does this sound for plan of action:

1) d/l a different (with offline) sat nav app and see if it gives me tbt navigation (eg, Navfree or Mapfactor)

if this fails....

2) factory reset....try again

if this fails.....

3) ask for exchange.

Message 35 of 41

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Sounds like a decent plan to me.
Sounds like GPS is working fine but gmaps can't access it for some reason?
Message 36 of 41

Waynefb
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hmm, that test programme app found it to be disabled too though. Maybe google is somehow 'jamming' the gps gizmo??

Dunno. Anyway - it's late so I shall sleep for now. Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks millions for all your help.

Message 37 of 41

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
No worries. I'll sleep on it too....
Message 38 of 41

Waynefb
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

niiite.Wave

Message 39 of 41

Waynefb
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, I performed factory reset, and retested GPS with two separate GPS test apps - both said GPS disabled. No further GPS on/off (etc) options appeared after reset, so I've requested an exchange from the seller. Hmph.

Anyway - thanks loads for all help. Much appreciated.

Message 40 of 41