cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring SIM to different phone and losing text message threads

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a Motorola Moto 3G phone which got damaged. I have just replaced it with another phone of the same model. I transferred my O2 pay and go SIM card from the old phone to the new and most things are working ok. The problem is with the text messages i.e. in the "Messaging" app. All my old text message threads have disappeared, which is an irritation, and I have also got a "Welcome to EE" message, which I don't understand because I didn't think I was an EE customer. Can anyone advise, especially with the text message threads ? Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Install sms backup+ off play store and back up all messages to your google account.
When you then install app on new phone you can restore all the backed up messages.
Just follow the on screen instructions.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a Motorola Moto 3G phone which got damaged. I have just replaced it with another phone of the same model. I transferred my O2 pay and go SIM card from the old phone to the new and most things are working ok. The problem is with the text messages i.e. in the "Messaging" app. All my old text message threads have disappeared, which is an irritation, and I have also got a "Welcome to EE" message, which I don't understand because I didn't think I was an EE customer. Can anyone advise, especially with the text message threads ? Thanks for any help.

Hi @Anonymous Out of interest, where did you get your replacement phone from? Was it O2 or another outlet, sold as unlocked?

Also did you back up your SMS on your old phone?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

If you backed up automatically to Google then you need to go into the restore settings in the phone. You can choose what to restore from the last backup including messages. As messages aren't stored on the sim these days then they would not transfer over by just changing the simcard. 

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Any chance the old phone is still working to make a back up of on your pc or laptop?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, the old phone is still working (without any Sim of course), but I couldn't see how to back up or restore SMS messages. If you go into Settings > Accounts the items synced don't include SMS, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got both phones on eBay. Thanks, but I need help finding exactly how to do the backup and restore.
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Install sms backup+ off play store and back up all messages to your google account.
When you then install app on new phone you can restore all the backed up messages.
Just follow the on screen instructions.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
SMS backup+ did the trick, thanks !
Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Happy to help.
Just leave it running and all new texts will be auto backed up.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll bear that in mind thanks.

Message 10 of 11