cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronising e-mail between my PC and NEXUS 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

This is not strictly relating to a mobile telephone issue but the solution you may have adopted will help me I think.

I have bought a NEXUS 7. My aim is to synchronise e-mail between it and my PC so my wife is no longer left on her own in the living room watching TV while I 'play' on the PC.
This ability is taken for granted by my bosses with their work e-mail.

I use Outlook on my PC and thought it would be simple to set up. (I read e-mail on my PC, not via webmail).
I now find O2 uses POP3 which means once an e-mail is downloaded it is deleted from the O2 sever and therefore no longer available for synchronisation across devices.

How do people get round this? Do you use webmail? (Not my preferred option)

Or, do you use Google mail or some other solution? If so please can you teach me?

I have an O2 and a Hotmail e-mail address. Ideally I'd like to keep these and be able to have them and my e-mail contacts (stored in Outlook on my PC) 100% synchronised between the PC and the NEXUS.

Thank you,
rabbituk

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Not at all painful wink

You can import your hotmail through GMail in the same way as your O2 mail. This way they will all come into Outlook or on your Nexus through the same app. Outlook can also be configured to poll your hotmail separately (It will poll multiple email addresses through the one programme, just add your hotmail as a POP account, however, I'm sure you can IMAP hotmail also).

To get your contacts into GMail go into your contacts in Outlook and from the menu export your contact file as a .csv. Then open contacts in the GMail web interface and choose the option to import that .csv file you just created. This contact file will sync with your GMail and also your phone. The other option for syncing phone to Outlook is to use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client&feature=nav_result#?... it's 2 parts, one for phone and one for PC, but don't accept the additional software that comes as a suggestion with the PC client.

Did we get all the Q's...? If not, just ask again slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Hotmail has it's own app available from Google Play. For your O2 mail I would import it through your Gmail account. You need to log into Gmail on your PC and go into Settings and set up your import details from there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello MI5,
Thank you for your reply. I hope I just have technofear and my mind is making this more complicated than needed.

I'll start with O2 e-mail first:

- I currently have an O2 e-mail address.
- Are you saying I should forward e-mails from here to my gmail account using 'MailFetcher'?
- Then to view in Outlook on my PC, do I have to configure Outlook in a way similar to what I already have on my PC with hotmail?

- Then will I see all my e-mails, contacts etc on the NEXUS7?

- And then will changes I make in Outlook on the PC be seen on my NEXUS7 and vice versa? (e.g. add new contact, send, read or delete an e-mail)
- If ok can I do the same with the hotmail e-mails? I don't want to log on separately to 2 different e-mail accounts on the NEXUS 7

Sorry for my lack of understanding....as you can tell I am very new to this. (And don't want to risk lost e-mails etc)

Thanks again,

Message 3 of 24

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I now find O2 uses POP3 which means once an e-mail is downloaded it is deleted from the O2 sever and therefore no longer available for synchronisation across devices.

O2 don't delete your emails that is set in Outlook - "Leave message on server".

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 24

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Hi, for hotmail just download and use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hotmail.Z7&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

For your O2 mail, open your Gmail webmail and go into Settings. Then select the accounts and Import tab. Choose "Add a POP2 Mail account you own" and set up the requested details. You Gmail app will then poll your O2 mail and pull them in through your Gmail app on the phone.

No need to change any Outlook settings on your PC.

If you want to you can do the same as above for your hotmail email and pull that in through your Gmail too.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Perksie, MI5,
So far so good, but I'm only working with O2 e-mails so far.
New test e-mails are going from Outlook on my PC and are visible on the Google web mail and on the NEXUS. They are also deleted off each.
Sorry more questions.........
- I believe my older e-mails and contacts will be brought across to the G-mail account. Is this correct?
 - My Outlook says not to delete messages from the server. Does this mean I will have a problem with O2 / Gmail in future? (Thanks Perksie)
- I have been testing by sending from my O2 e-mail address to itself. When the mail is received by GMail before being processed in my OutlooK in box, then it doesn't look like the O2 message is reaching my Outlook at all.
Could Gmail be deleting it?
If so do I have to set up G-mail in my Outlook as well? (While on the PC I would like to use Outlook)
If so will this synchronise with the Gmail account?

Sorry if I'm being slow with this, and thank you for your help?

Message 6 of 24

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

The problem is that your outlook will be set up as a POP account. If you change it for IMAP you can see emails in both Outlook and on the Nexus.

Forget that, just remembered that O2 doesn't support IMAP - I'll have another think....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5

I found this out after I bought the NEXUS.........hopefully not an expensive mistake...

I read earlier about Google Apps sync but this looks like it is losing Google support and may cost me too much........

Please keep thinking. Your help is very much appreciated. Cheers.

Message 8 of 24

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Having given it some thought, the only way I can think of is if you change your Outlook to poll your GMail account, rather than your O2 account (as O2 is now going to GMail you will get your O2 mails in outlook but through GMail) if that makes sense to you? Set up outlook to poll your GMail as an IMAP account and you should be able to download to both phone and outlook simultaneously.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 24

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I use Thunderbird for email and have the option to delete nothing from the server so everything sticks where I want it, the same options should appear in Outlook: the program not the online email service.

I too have a Nexus 4 and all my emails tend to stick.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 24