cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact won't turn on - just red flashing light (still in warranty)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

I had about 40% battery yesterday evening and in the morning I found phone turned off.

• Tried to turn on - no luck. 
  • Plug to the wall charger - a red light appeared and started blinking in a loop (3s red, 1s pause, 3s red etc.)
  • Tried with different charger - same as above.
  • Conected to laptop through USB - red light as normally when charging but no battery icon and scrren still black. Tried to turn on and blinking come back.
  • I left on charging for a while and tried hard reset (power button + volume up) - nothing.
  • Tried also a magic reset buttonnear the SIM card slot - also with no luck.

1. Do you have any other suggestions?
  2. Do you think O2 guru would be able to fix it?
  3. Also, is the any handling fee if I decline engineer's quote?

I'm about to visit O2 store this afternoon but would like to avoid giving my phone away for repair as going away for few days this Friday. 

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Tom

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

Being a busy lately but finally sent my phone to SBE through Sony website...

tl;dr

Has anyone succesfully received free of charge warranty repair having device turned down due to rooting/sw modification? Read below for more details.

Today I have received a quote from them as follows:

Electrical repair

Your device has faulty electrical parts. To solve the problem, we must repair or replace the faulty parts, or swap the entire circuit board. 86.32 GBP

Shipping 12.31 GBP

Handling fee 24.17 GBP

TOTAL 122.80 GBP

Went on chat straight away to find out why there is a charge and what parts actually need to be replaced. Last but not least what is the fault as motherboard replaced is needed.

[I have whole chat saved in case anyone wants to read]

1. Agent after a while decided to assigned this order to escalation team as it was not clear why there is a charge.
  2. Just few minutes later it was said I had received a quote because "software on the handset has been rooted or modified". 
  3. Asked how does it affecting quote which is clearly hardware related. Also asked for part names and results of battery and vacuum tests which I had asked for in my letter to engineer.
  4. Next information was that only a board swap can actually fix my phone. And "we have not stated that the modification of the software has caused the issue on your device".
  5. I will not get any details of requested tests. I will not get the details of the fault. Just resolution.
  6. I have asked how loosing warranty is related to EU Directive 1999/44/CE, §3. No comments from the Agent, who provided a link to http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/common/warranty_phones_GB_24_4.pdf. Base on which it is said if you modify your software you will loose your warranty.
  7. I have asked where exactly this is written as what I have found was only conditions:
  • Nor does this warranty cover any failure of the Product due to accident, software or hardware modification or adjustment, or acts of God.
  • This warranty does not cover Product failures caused by installations, modifications, or repair or opening of the Product performed by a non-Sony authorised person.

So I have asked, where exactly I can find the statement agent is referring to. She said "As stated on page 10 point

7. Tampering with any of the seals (this is software and hardware) this would void the warranty".

Had a look on the document but there was only:

7. Tampering with any of the seals on the Product will void the warranty.

Based on above I had to pay even if the fault is clearly not related to modification of the software.

From http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/unlock-yourboot-loader/

Voiding the warranty

If you unlock the boot loader, you may void the warranty of your device and/or any warranty from your operator. See your device’s warranty statement for details. Additionally, due to the modified device software, Sony’s repair network will likely have to replace key components before it can properly test, repair and verify your device using our repair tools and software. Consequently, if Sony performs a warranty repair, Sony will likely charge you a significant service fee for the additional costs caused by your modification of the software.

Message 11 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149324 Posts
  • 646 Topics
  • 28493 Solutions
Looks clear enough to me.....
Flashing any non standard software is always at your own risk.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 12