Sim swap and no more 4G

Grilo
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 24 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi everyone!

I'm a bit stumped with this one:

Was using my sim free S7 edge with an O2 contract that was coming to the end and the phone was working fine, with 4G.

Took out a new sim only 12 months contract, 4G ready. Asked CS to swap my old number to this new sim and they told me, from the minute I noticed the loss of signal, to swap the sim cards with the new one. Done all that and noticed that from the start, I would only get the H+ (No 4G). Waited 24 hours and yesterday decided to visit an O2 shop and explained that ever since inserting this new sim, have not seen the 4G indicator since, despite checking all settings on the phone that are correct. They also had a look at the phone settings and confirmed the are correct, so decided to give me another sim card. Inserted it and the problem is still here. All I get is H+, knowing that I am in a 4G area.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Grilo67

jgrilo
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124203 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

As BB has been out of favour here for about 2 years one would think they should just realise it's probably obsolete?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 43

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Probably a case of "That's what we've always done"

Also if the training is carried out by current personnel then the error is passed on to new joiners.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 32 of 43

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
....or they just couldn't care less.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 33 of 43

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Grilo
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 24 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
The best way to get results when I need help sorting out a problem with O2 is to go on the online chat on their website.

With this problem of the sim swap, I firstly when into an O2 shop, thinking that it would be sorted their and then, only to be seen by a sales assistant that listened to my problem, told me to wait and never saw him again. After about 20 minutes wait, a girl that had been sitting down in front of a computer screen, finally decided to ask if I needed any help, I explained, she asked me a few details, looked at the settings on my phone and said I needed a new sim card and that 24 hours later I would be getting 4g on my phone.

24 hours later, still the same. So I decided to ask here and was advised to contact cs and I did it online and the person on the other side seemed to know exactly what was wrong, came back and told me that she had made changes to my account and within 24 hours I would be on 4g. True to her word, I was!

It just goes to show that quite a few people that work within O2 have no knowledge of what they're doing and some, on the shop floor give a very poor customer service.

Btw, the O2 shop in question is in Brixton, London.

jgrilo
Message 35 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 124203 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

Hi @Grilo

I honestly think it is store dependent as to whether issues can and will be sorted. I live in Warwickshire and my O2 shop offers superb service. When I needed a 4G sim and wanted to keep the same phone and number, I went instore and it was all done and dusted in 10 minutes flat. By the time I walked out of the store, I was up and running with 4G. I know some stores wont do this...in fact I have been told on here that 'it isn't part of their job' This doesn't alter the fact that store can and often will do this for you.

Having said all of the above, it's a real shame that there is a lack of consistency between different stores.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 43

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions
As with everything, it's luck of the draw if you get someone who knows what they are doing.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 37 of 43

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Please do keep us updated @Kauface

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 38 of 43

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Live chat wouldn't have been my first, second or third choice but I think you were connected to UK chat...glad it's sorted slight_smile

Message 39 of 43

Kauface
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As promised, an update

Despite having been assured on Weds that the setup would be changed, Thursday arrived with no 4G. I phoned up again and got through to someone who sounded a bit more like she knew what she was talking about. She said that the blackberry bolt-on (or however it's implemented) was set to come off my account and the android to come on, but the date was left blank i.e. it would happen at the next billing date (which is mid-month). So she manually edited the bolt-on changeover date to today, and promised that today I would absolutely definitely have 4G.

And I do! Miraculously this morning I woke up to a full strength 4G signal. I reckon the changeover must have happened around 6am.

So I'm just glad that eventually it was sorted, I just wish it hadn't taken nearly a week and 5 phone calls

Message 40 of 43