cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 Sudden Death Dead

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I recently sent my Samsung Galaxy S3 back to o2 for repair for the sudden death motherboard fault.  This problem seems to totally brick your phone when it is about 6 months old.  You put your phone on charge at night and when you wake up the phone is totally dead.  So far as I can find from whats is on the internet, it is quite a widespread (geographically) problem with the 16gb version of the phone but it will probably only affect a small percentage of people.  From the research I have done, it doesnt seem to matter f the phone is totally stock or rooted.

My issue is that o2 have told me that it is not covered by warranty.  So im not sure who to talk to whether it be Samsung or o2.  I dont know if samsung are holding their hands up saying its a hardware fault or are sticking their heads in the sand hoping it will go away?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

How could a faulty motherboard not be covered by warranty? If you've found lots of instances of this fault online you should contact Samsung directly about this. The worst they could do would be to refer you back to O2, if you purchased the phone through them.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Samsung are fully aware of the problem and are replacing handsets with the issue under warranty. Sounds like O2 are fobbing you off (again, sigh). Go directly to Samsung if the threat of legal action doesn't excite O2. However, as you mention "rooting" this may be a reason that O2 could refuse a warranty repair if they can prove it - Samsung won't care less though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoke to O2, they tell me that it it the charging point on the phone that is broken (and unsurprisingly) it is not covered by warranty.  I am not convinced that that is the problem and will use a mates battery to test whether or not it is the fault of the charging point/battery not being charged.....im very dubious.

On a side note I was talking to the O2 Area Sales manager and he told me he hadnt heard of the Samsung motherboard issue and warned me to be weary of what i read on the internet....so according to him we are making it all up???

I will update as we proceed...

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
and I guess Samsung are making up all the warranty repairs too!! Where do these people get trained, I wonder.... slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was having a similar problem to you, see here: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Samsung-GS3-Random-crashes-and-switch-...

Just send it to samsung repair!

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I worked for BMW I used to read everything I could get my hands on from the manafacturer but I was always amazed when a customer would come in and say this is a known problem and lots of people are reporting it on the internet. 

Peopl do not report or start a forum that says there MB is working brilliantly on the S3, you will always get the failures/complaints. 

Is 1 or 2% of all samsung S3 phones a issue, Not to Samsung it is not. 

So the Area sales manager from O2 may well not have come across it as a 'known' issue asit is only a known issue on the internet which percentage wise is nothing. 

Message 7 of 7