cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini - data usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini at the end of November, but finding I'm reaching my 1gb data limit not even 2 weeks into my billing month, help! It's like something is constantly on in the background to use this much data, but I can't figure out what it is. I've switched off automatic updates of apps and I'm making sure there's no active apps running, but it still seems to be consuming lots of data. I previously only had a 500mb allowance on my iphone and never even came close to using this data each month.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

or google mail, maps. Make sure GPS is switched off.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
Settings >Data usage will tell you what is using your data. I would guess at Facebook wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

or google mail, maps. Make sure GPS is switched off.

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha it is my most used app in that list, but it says 134mb used, doesn't sound like enough to justify the 1gb?

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ha thanks guys - just found it, my yahoo mail in the background used over 1gb!!! Eeeeek!

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions
Maybe turn down your sync frequency.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad we could help you find the issue. As MI5 says go into settings and have the sync turned down to every hour where I suspect your have it set at 5, 10 or 15 minutes.

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im so glad i found this thread!

I received my new Galaxy S3 Mini on Sunday and ive already used 100Mb of data, not much in the grand scheme of things but for 3 days its a lot especially as i never used this per month when i had an iPhone!

Ive now turned off GPS, Mobile Data (will turn that on if its needed outside of WIFI areas) auto updates and sync...

Im really hoping that this will solve the problem as i was close to losing sleep over this (i really panic about getting a massive bill due to data usage)

Is there anything else that i should be looking to do other than turning the phone off completely?!

Message 8 of 10

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23467 Posts
  • 1034 Topics
  • 3744 Solutions

You will need to manually turn your Mobile Data back on if you want to use it outside a wifi area. It's always best to keep Mobile Data switched off when you don't need it. If left on, your apps will continually update in the background and use your data allowance up.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

You won't get hit with a big bill though, once your allowance is used up O2 slow your data down so as it's virtually impossible to use. You can still use wifi however but your bill will not show any extra data charges .

Message 10 of 10