Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S20 temperature

alyb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been spending this weekend getting used to my new S20, one thing which as made me a little concerned is how quickly it heats up.  This is most noteable when I use the camera, when my CPU monitor reads a temperature of around 42c. 

This happens after only taking one or two photos but noted  that it doesn't seem to get much higher than that if I am taking many pics - so it gets hot very fast and just stays around that temperature until I stop using the camera  (and, yes, I know the weather has been seriously hot this weekend, however I tried the camera in different locations and times of day, with pretty much the same result).  General browsing/scrolling/faffing on my phone will push the temperature up to low/mid 30's, so it seems to be primarily the camera which is the issue.

Reading up online, I've seen a few complaints about the S20 getting hot, but also seen posts saying that the battery useage needs to adapt and that one should give it a few days to settle. Never heard of that before, so wasn't sure if it was true.

Another thought, as all the apps and settings have been transferred from my old phone to this one using SmartSwitch, am I just transferring all the baggage, unneccessary apps etc and maybe I should try resetting my phone and reinstalling just the apps I need to see if that affects the temperature? 

I've also seen similar reports about other phones I was looking at (the OnePlus for example), so essentially I am trying to determine if this is normal with these powerful smart phones and I just need to get used to it, or if there is an issue and I should return it within my 14 day cooling off period.  If I return it, the other phones I had in mind aren't available under O2, so I'm not sure how much hassle that would be if I wanted to revert back to my previous contract within the cooling off period.

After any feedback or thoughts from others with this phone, or similar issue with other phones to help me decide if I should keep it, or if I am just going to end up with problems in the long run. I'm pretty happy with it otherwise.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@alyb

Unfortunately, as mobile phone manufacturers put more ram, and faster processors such as the Qualcomm 8 Series and then enclose them in a unibody, with little heat dispersion, then the device will get hot, some manufacturers are testing water cooling to get round this problem.

I would check if any applications such as Chrome are using high amounts of CPU and Memory, as well as that setting up a phone for the first time will use a lot of CPU, Network and Memory

Samsung have published some advice on this:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/is-there-something-wrong-with-my-samsung-mobile-de...

And to answer your question, on whether this affects over phones the answer is yes im afraid so, My s10 5g and one plus 7Pro both get very hot under strain
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@SamsungFanBoy, you had this phone. Have you any advice for @alyb ?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@alyb

Unfortunately, as mobile phone manufacturers put more ram, and faster processors such as the Qualcomm 8 Series and then enclose them in a unibody, with little heat dispersion, then the device will get hot, some manufacturers are testing water cooling to get round this problem.

I would check if any applications such as Chrome are using high amounts of CPU and Memory, as well as that setting up a phone for the first time will use a lot of CPU, Network and Memory

Samsung have published some advice on this:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/is-there-something-wrong-with-my-samsung-mobile-de...

And to answer your question, on whether this affects over phones the answer is yes im afraid so, My s10 5g and one plus 7Pro both get very hot under strain
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 12

alyb
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks madasaf1sh, that's what I was wondering, if it was the norm with these high spec phones or if mine had a specific fault which may get worse.  It definately seems to be the camera that causes it on mine, the heat is at the top left side next to the camera lenses and temperature rises as soon as I've taken just one or two photos.
I bought it because of the camera - i was debating whether or not to get myself a new compact camera, due to taking so many photos over the past few months, but the general consensus was that I might as well use that money to upgrade my phone instead.  My previous phone is a Sony Xperia Compact, which I absolutely love but the camera isn't great, so I know I am going to be nitpicking about this upgrade and particularly if the camera is the problem, as that defeats the object of the upgrade.

Message 4 of 12

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
@aylb if this is a brand new handset, check the Google Play Store under 'My Apps and Games' - you may find that there's a long list of apps in the process of updating but they aren't actually doing anything other than being in the pending update state. If this has happened, stop them all from updating and just update a few at a time. This is a common problem when setting up a new device and seems to cause it to overheat. If this isn't occurring then check Device Care in your settings and make sure that nothing is over using the battery which again could cause it to overheat.

Also try force stopping your camera and starting it up again.

My S20+ didn't over heat when taking photos but it got nuclear hot when it was charging.

Sorry I can't be much more help but hope something here helps solve your issue. If not it might be worth giving Samsung a call on 03307267864

Thank you.
Message 5 of 12

Kuribo
Level 3: Thinker
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I've not had any heat issues (S20 5G) apart from when first setting up. Battery life on the other hand, is awful. I previously had an S10+ which is only 100mAh more than the S20 battery and that lasted a long time, this phone just chews through the battery super quick. Reddit says takes 2 weeks to learn your usage and adapt accordingly, having had a Samsung since the S3 (S3, S4, S5, S6 edge, S8, S9+, S10+) I've not heard of this before but it could be new. I live everything about the phone apart from battery life (I've checked apps none are using a lot at all). Turning off 120hz gets ever so slightly more but I feel I shouldn't have to turn it off as that defeats the point of having it. I'm hopeful that the August security patch might have some battery improvements bundled in under the hood and that o2 push it out soon.
Message 6 of 12

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I had an accident with my S20+ and recently downgraded to the S10+ I just think it's a miles better phone than what the S20+ was. The S20+ battery used to last me around half a day. I'm getting at least 6 hours extra battery life a day from the S10+, the speakers sound a million times better on the S10+ because dolby atmos actually works and doesn't sound ridiculously tinny. I'm really preferring my S10+
Message 7 of 12

Kuribo
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've just organised a return for my S20 and ordered another S10+ should have never gotten rid of the first one, just weighed it up and the battery life is a deal breaker. There's no 5G in my area yet (we are always the last place, the same when 4G rolled out) and the 4G+ round here is by far good enough for now. Getting through to organise the return was a pain in the behind though, got through to the right department after 3 advisors... then it cut off. Tried again, got through again after another 3 advisors, cut off. So third time lucky I asked that if it cut off this time could they call back but luckily that time it didn't cut off!

Message 8 of 12

pp763
  • 79 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Completely normal for this handset and cpu
Message 9 of 12

Kuribo
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Returning mine, gone back to S10 Plus, same great battery life I remember! Been off charge since first thing this morning and still has 85%, shame I had to shell out for it, wish I'd kept the old one.
Message 10 of 12