Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S10 OneUI 3.0

henrymgray
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Does anyone know what's happening about OneUI 3.0 for Galaxy S10 series? I think O2 is starting to take the p*** when it comes to updates over the past few years, even with the security patches.

The update was released for S10 almost a week ago.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@henrymgray 

I will tag @Chris_K  from the social media team. He should be able to answer this question and hopefully on tomorrow.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Are you actually on O2 firmware @henrymgray ?

Samsung usually roll out updates in batches by serial number, so just because it has been released, doesn't mean you'll get it immediately.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 4

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@henrymgray wrote:
Does anyone know what's happening about OneUI 3.0 for Galaxy S10 series? I think O2 is starting to take the p*** when it comes to updates over the past few years, even with the security patches.

The update was released for S10 almost a week ago.

Before going into anything I think it's important I try and clear the air with this - we/O2 do not in any way "take the p***" when it comes to software or security updates. There may well be a difference of days/weeks between a vendor "releasing it" and customers receiving it, but that doesn't equate to the network being the cause of any "delays", so let's break it down a bit:

• When a vendor releases an update that rolls out directly to users, that's an "Open Market" update and usually applies for devices purchased directly from them. Devices purchased from a network carrier are typically not Open Market devices, and will instead be on their own update channel (ie, updates will be tested/approved by that carrier first, then returned to Samsung to release to those customers)
  • When a vendor releases their Open Market update and when they send their network carrier version to us for testing doesn't typically happen at the same time. It could be days or weeks between them.
  • Once we / network carriers do receive the update from the vendor, this typically takes a few days up to a couple of weeks to test fully, approve, and then return it to Samsung to be released to customers
  • If a carrier does spot any issues, this can then cause delays either for that individual carrier (if it's for example a network issue that impacts only them) or for everyone in that market if it could potentially impact anyone
  • Once the vendor receives our approval, this again can take days or weeks for them to then release this to customers on that/those networks

Now we've got that out of the way, here you can find Samsung's own official rollout schedule for the One UI 3.0 update and here you can find updates from Samsung showing which device rollouts have completed. According to this, the Samsung S10 range (with the exception of the S10 Lite) has not yet gone through the rollout and is currently scheduled for sometime this month. In relation to it being "released" last week - the only source I can find on this is that the S10 and S10e started to receive this in Switzerland last week and it's important to know that as part of a phased rollout, this itself can take weeks or even months in some cases for the update to rollout across every market in the world or for it to reach the UK.

Updates and timelines are messy. Just because it's available for Network X in Country Z doesn't mean it's available for everyone. It takes vendors time to seed this out across all the markets they're involved in; it takes them time to send updates to carriers to test; it takes them time to schedule approved updates from carriers.

From the above, I think it's unfair to suggest O2 is sitting on their hands with this update. We haven't even received it yet, and we can't start any of our testing or approval process until that happens - which again, can typically be days or weeks after Samsung themselves start pushing the update out. 

Long story short is please be patient. Even once the Samsung S10 range of Open Market updates eventually hits the UK, it's likely going to take few weeks before you start receiving this through non-Open Market update channels.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 4 of 4