cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung GS3: Random crashes and switch offs up to 5 times a day?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Samsung Galaxy S3 (16GB version) in White my latest Baseband number is I9300XXELLA

I have had my phone since June 2012, but since the 4.1.2 update and this year, i have been experiencing random crashes and switch offs up to 5 times a day even when my phone is fully charged.

My phone is very important to me, i have looked on every forum and help site and i can't see a fix for this!

Is anyone else experiencing this or know of a fix?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
A better method is to hold Vol Up+Home+Power all together until you see the samsung splash screen, then let go. Phone will boot into recovery mode. Using vol keys to move up and down select "Clear cache" and press power key, then select "Reset all user data/factory reset" and press power key again. This will effectively reload the latest OS onto your phone. When the phone restarts just enter your Google ID and nothing else for a while, see how it goes. It shouldn't be buggy at all so I suspect you have a hardware issue and phone will have to go in for repair if this process fails.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Most likely an app conflict or a useless battery saver / task killer app. It is also advisable to do a factory reset after software upgrades to reduce the risk of OS conflicts.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I MI5 has said App conflict is the normal issue. 
List your apps you have installed. Have they recently updated?

My first point of call would be Facebook is you are running it.

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey thanks for the tips MI5 & steersy, i'll report back later if it fixes annoying the random crashes!

Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still no luck

I followed your steps, i reset my device by going to Settings->Backup->Factory data reset.

But now my phone feels even more buggy and crashes on application loadup even with the stock apps that come with the phone and still randomly switch offs and reboots.

My phone is becoming unusable! 

Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
A better method is to hold Vol Up+Home+Power all together until you see the samsung splash screen, then let go. Phone will boot into recovery mode. Using vol keys to move up and down select "Clear cache" and press power key, then select "Reset all user data/factory reset" and press power key again. This will effectively reload the latest OS onto your phone. When the phone restarts just enter your Google ID and nothing else for a while, see how it goes. It shouldn't be buggy at all so I suspect you have a hardware issue and phone will have to go in for repair if this process fails.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

:Update (28/01/13)

I followed all your steps for about an hour i was screaming yes it's fixed, but then it went back to it black screen freeze state again. It seems to be a hardware issue, I had to hand in my phone to the Samsung SMART Service repair centre!

Thanks for all your help, and to everyone that has been expirencing similar issues to me that has a UK Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 (16GB version) in White, everyone should have a 24 month Warranty so get it fixed by Samsung asap!

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you advise of the contact details for Samsung as my phone has froze on the start screen.  Tried clearing the cache and rebooting but nothing is working.  Tried a different battery and same problem.  Don't want to factory reset in case I lose everything.  Phone not even a year old yet!

Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

You will loose everything if you send it to Samsung as they will do what I advised above. You'll have to bite the bullet and do it and remember to make back ups in future, I'm afraid....

If you still wish to contact a service centre the details are here http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do

Currently using:
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

😞  Just did the factory re-set but still stuck with the same problem  ....

Message 10 of 15