Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S7 Android security updates

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know that Google release security updates monthly, and send them out to networks to test and ok the release, but just wondering how often do O2 get these updates out to customers? Is it every month or does it take longer for some security updates to appear OTA?

Reason i ask is i last checked my phone for updates in mid Fed, but the Android Security patch level still says Jan 18

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@paulbaconOne of our members asked that question directly to Samsung and was given this reply

Software updates are released in batches and release dates for them will vary by region. As they are often rolled out over the period of a quarter, it may be this long until you receive the update.

Have you enabled automatic updates? If enabled, this should ensure that you get the update as soon it becomes available; you can find this option by following these steps:

Applications>Settings>More>About Device>Software Update/Automatic Updates (Change to On).

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/Nougat-7-1-1-for-Samsung-s7-amp-s7-edge-O2/m-p/1041635/highlig...

So basically,whenever it gets released by Samsung, approved by O2 and subsequently pushed to your phone from Samsung's servers. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
  • 122384 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@paulbaconOne of our members asked that question directly to Samsung and was given this reply

Software updates are released in batches and release dates for them will vary by region. As they are often rolled out over the period of a quarter, it may be this long until you receive the update.

Have you enabled automatic updates? If enabled, this should ensure that you get the update as soon it becomes available; you can find this option by following these steps:

Applications>Settings>More>About Device>Software Update/Automatic Updates (Change to On).

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/Nougat-7-1-1-for-Samsung-s7-amp-s7-edge-O2/m-p/1041635/highlig...

So basically,whenever it gets released by Samsung, approved by O2 and subsequently pushed to your phone from Samsung's servers. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that.

I assume the phone always checks for updates automatically? Only options i have in the Software Updates section is "Download updates manually" and "scehedule software updates". Nothing about download automatic

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@paulbacon I guess it’s how long it takes for o2 to send the update back to Samsung after testing it to see how long you have to wait 

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2 receive security updates every month but they chose which ones to push out depending on what has changed. This means they won’t release every single update to customers.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5