cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S5 Lollipop is simply terrible

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd prefer to use other words in the title but I'd probably be banned.

So I took a chance an updated without looking at what I was about to install beforehand.

Noway was I expecting the childish colours that make me sick in my mouth everytime I send a text or look up a contact.

Seriously... who thought these colours were a serious option. This is a big mistake for the developers as there is no option to change... oh and I can't rollback to kitkat without odin and a potential void of the warranty.

It should be an option now to choose OTA installations and roll back or choose an OS. Just as you choose a distribution for servers, dedicated boxes and VPS from a data centre.

Video streaming playback has also changed, I assume codecs are different. This is so frustrating as I can't view contact I used to with kitkat.

So in my view LOLLIPOP IS S**T and a pointless upgrade bar a few small benefits.

I'm sure others have noticed the battery drain also.

So... If you could, please hurry up with a new update. I want my phone to continue to look like it did when I bought it, regardless if it is slightly faster.

And the Recent Apps section although now 3d carousel type.... looks pants and bland.

This is a downgrade, make sure to check it out before you install!!

mac
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

In terms of look and feel, 5.0 is good

In terms of battery life and stability, its poor

Looks like 5.1 will be what more people wanted with 5.0x

Some people do seem to be experiencing good battery life, but there seems to be more negative comments than positive ones in this case.

I am missing Silent mode, as my phone just vibrates when I turn the volume off at night

Also seen stability issues with the Camera/video recording

Really loved 4.x and hoped for the same from 5, so waiting with baited breath for 5.1

Message 21 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it more Samsung's interpretation and additions to lollipop that are causing the op to be unhappy with it?

I am running it on my Nexus 5 and my personal opinion is I like it. Battery life isn't great, but the N5 has quite a small battery so I'll blame the capacity of the battery rather than the os for that.

I like the lock screen notifications, the menu animations, the contact cards and dialler function etc and whilst I did have a couple of camera freezes with the original version, they appear to have been ironed out in the 5.0.1 that I'm running now. 

It's a bigger step for Android than JellyBean was to KitKat, and has a bolder design change to go with it. I think it bodes well for future development.

Message 22 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so frustrated with this so called upgrade Lollipop I could cry! Sorry if that makes me a pathetic girl but I used to love the way my Galaxy 5 worked and now I hate it. I don't care if the colours, fonts etc have changed but I do care that it's slow to load apps, hangs mid way through writing a text and when it does eventually send the text, does so up to 40 times! It overheats the battery lasts for a maximum of 4-5 hours and they've taken away my silent mode so that I have to go through the settings menu everytime I want my phone to be silent. So now I'm faced with doing a factory reset to fix the wonderful upgrade and not being very tech savvy am really nervous about doing it. I've downloaded Kies3 and backed my phone up. I'm just gathering up the courage to press the button that will wipe my phone. I think that all upgrades should be optional and if not then they should be adequately tested to identify these very annoying bugs. 

Message 23 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to be the S5 version of lollipop that is causing a lot of upset. Is thaty more Samsung's fault than Androids?

@Anonymous wrote:

. I think that all upgrades should be optional 

The upgrades are normally optional, unless you have your handset set to 'automatically download over WiFi' system and/or app updates.

Message 24 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another upgrade installed today, hopefully to fix some of these issues. Fingers crossed, drama over.
Message 25 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it a different version of lollipop, or a Samsung update? Please let us know if you notice any improvement. Remember it's always best to do a soft reset or restart the phone after an os update, to ensure it beds in properly.

Message 26 of 38

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93319 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I'm running 5.0.2 (not an S5) but I presume some of the problems on 5.0 have been addressed.

Message 27 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Think it was a Samsung update and initially it seemed to fix all the issues I was having. However, today, two days later I'm back to multiple txts being sent to same recipient, lagging, overheating and crap battery life. I guess theres nothing for it, I will need to do that facory reset. On the txt messaging issue, I have been using Chomp app and uninstalled it thinking that might be the problem, but the Samsung messenger is sooooo slow the app just hangs. Any suggestions?

Message 28 of 38

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So there is no silent mode on Lollipop? Or no easy way to access it
Message 29 of 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147046 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28284 Solutions
http://www.androidpit.com/android-5-0-lollipop-silent-mode
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 30 of 38