cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem on Galaxy S3 post Jelly Bean Update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all.

I updated to Jelly Bean this afternoon via Kies. All appeared to have gone well and the phone is generally working well.

However, when I select "more settings" on the settings screen, after a short pause, I get a blank screen, followed by a message "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.". I have rebooted the phone a couple of times to no avail. I haven't found any other similar complaints on the boards that I have checked.

This may seem like a minor problem, but I use the phone to provide Internet access for my tablet, and I cannot do that if I can't access the settings.

Is anyone else having a similar problem, and are there any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems to have done the trick - I'll be more confident when all my settngs and apps have been restored from the backup.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Settings >Applications >All and scroll down to settings. Open settings and choose "Force close" then reboot. If that doesn't help do it again but choose "Clear data". This will reset some of your user settings to default also so you may have to set some stuff up again......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions MI5. I tried both force stop and clear data with a reboot each time, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Any other thoughts?

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Reboot into recovery mode (vol up + Home + Power) and choose clear cache.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again MI5. Unfortunately, that hasn't solved the problem either.

Is a hard reset likely to help?

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I was trying to avoid suggesting that but unfortunately it is looking likely..... 😞

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems to have done the trick - I'll be more confident when all my settngs and apps have been restored from the backup.

Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I was hoping the JB update wouldn't require a factory reset. It may be due to the fact that you updated with Kies rather than OTA though. Will see if any more reports come out of OS conflicts.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have exactly the same problem. I gave my phone a factory reset and this corrected the problem. However, after installing my backups I again cannot access 'More settings'. I downloaded JB OTA so I think that on this occasion Kies is blameless. Anyone got a solution?

Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If your backups included any system settings you may have restored the conflict. I would reset again and just restore your user data.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12