cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone does not display my phone number in Settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My phone is the Sony Xperia M (not dual SIM), and is Android version 4.1.2. When I go into Settings > About phone > Status and then scroll down to 'My phone number' it displays 'Unknown' instead of displaying my phone number. The correct IMEI and Serial number, etc., of my phone are displayed okay. I have a neighbour with the exact same phone and his phone displays his phone number in Settings okay.

I previously had an O2 Pay & Go SIM in the phone to test the signal just two days before taking out an O2 SIM-only, pay-monthly, contract. When O2 sent me my new pay-monthly SIM card, I inserted it into the phone after removing the O2 Pay & Go SIM card. The phone is not dual SIM. The phone was bought SIM-free (or factory unlocked) and is three week's old.

After inserting the new pay-monthly O2 SIM I then selected 'Download settings for Internet and MMS' via Sony's Settings > Xperia > Personal.

I wonder if having a Pay & Go SIM card in the phone for two days and then inserting the pay-monthly SIM has anything to do with my phone number not being displayed. I can't remember if my number was displayed okay when the O2 Pay & Go SIM was inserted.

My phone number not being displayed in Settings is a minor matter I know. I thought I'd post the problem here nevertheless.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145078 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
It's nothing to do with having a different SIM in the phone, it's just the way android works. Unless your number is saved on the SIM card (need a different phone to do that) it won't be displayed.
Some shops will do it for you as it involves putting your SIM in a phone that can write to the SIM card protected area - Typically old Nokia's, Sony's & Samsung's can do this.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 145078 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
It's nothing to do with having a different SIM in the phone, it's just the way android works. Unless your number is saved on the SIM card (need a different phone to do that) it won't be displayed.
Some shops will do it for you as it involves putting your SIM in a phone that can write to the SIM card protected area - Typically old Nokia's, Sony's & Samsung's can do this.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, MI5. As it's only a minor matter, I can live with it. It's not worth the bother of going to a shop to get it sorted.
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 145078 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
For sure.... It won't effect anything.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
For sure.... It won't effect anything.

Been watching Formula 1 have we? Smiley LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 145078 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
To be sure, for sure slight_smile

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 6 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Someone will say it in every race now, I find now I'm listening out for it. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 7