Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 firmware update for Xperia

Keegkeeg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have an Xperia XA2 handset which is wifi calling capable. I have just switched from Three to O2 as I believed O2 supported WiFi calling.
WiFi calling does not appear in my settings menu and in the secret settings it is there but greyed out. From my research, I need O2 to provide a firmware update for this to work. Has anyone managed to get this from O2 or any idea how I can?
Phone signal is patchy at home so this would be a useful tool.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Keegkeeg 

XA2 does not require specific O2 firmware:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling

I'd suggest calling O2 to ask for wifi calling to be enabled on your account, you can then turn it on/off from your MyO2.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Keegkeeg
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5I've already got them to turn it on. As per the link you sent, most Xperia handsets need the O2 firmware :
"If you are using a Sony XZ Premium, XZ1 or XZ1 Compact, to get Wifi and 4G Calling, your device will need to use O2 firmware"
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

But not the XA2 @Keegkeeg 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Keegkeeg
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The XA2 is not mentioned, presumably as it is a bit older. As I have tried all other possible steps it seems logical to assume that the firmware is the solution as with most other Xperias. Sony have echoed that this is most likely the case. 

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Keegkeeg 

It is on the list and not asterisked indicating the need for O2 firmware.

devices.PNG

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6