Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Device Unlock - Code doesn't work

danpaul88
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yet another "unlock code doesn't work" post.

My phone is a Sony Xperia XZ2. Entered my IMEI on the "unlock my device" page on the O2 website and got an unlock code (16 digits)... but when entering it, I just get "unlock UNsuccessful". Tried it a second time in case I mistyped it (since it *s it all out when entering it, so you can't double check visually) and same result.

Double checked the IMEI in the unlock code email matches the phone IMEI, also re-requested the unlock code typing in the IMEI again and got the exact same unlock code again (which I haven't bothered entering again, already entered it twice and it didn't work).

Any ideas? Or am I going to be forced to buy a new phone to use outside of O2 network?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@danpaul88 

Type *#*#SERVICE#*#* into keypad
>Service info
>Sim lock

Look for
[X] Network 0 = hard locked
[ ] Network 0 = unlocked
[X] Network 1-5 = attempts left

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

danpaul88
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

[x] Network 3

So just used the two attempts so far.

Message 3 of 16

danpaul88
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I did have to change the phone app back to the default for this to work - does not using the default phone app affect unlocking attempts? it didn't seem to be using the phone app for the unlock so I assume not

Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@danpaul88 

The phone app shouldn't matter as the data is stored in a partition in the operating system.

The only doubt I have is if the app isn't registering the keypresses correctly.

You could try again using the stock app and still have two attempts remaining if unsuccessful.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

danpaul88
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Does the non-o2 SIM card need to be activated for the unlock to work, or is it all done internally on the phone itself? I just got a new BT sim in the post today as until now I had no other SIM cards to use to perform the unlock.

Message 6 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@danpaul88 

As long as the phone is asking for an unlock code it doesn't matter if the sim is active or not.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 16

danpaul88
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Tried it once more with the stock phone app as the default - same result. Down to 2 attempts now

Looks like the code O2 are generating for my phones IMEI doesn't match what the phone is expecting. Rather annoying if I have to buy a new phone just to use a different network, when this phone is still working just fine... other than being network locked...

Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@danpaul88 

The code comes from Sony so it's not generated by O2.

I'll ask @O2Georgina to contact you in the morning to check the details for you.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

danpaul88
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Ah, I wasn't sure how it worked on that front - wonder if Sony have somehow broken the unlock process with the latest software updates?

Thanks for your help so far slight_smile 

Message 10 of 16