cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 4 - MASSIVE email usage for no reason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had Iphones, Note 3 for many years, 1gm now 2gb data and NEVER gone over my limit, since i have had the Note 4 it appears to be using stupid amount of data for email and despite my data resetting on 15th i am now back to having used 2gb and most days its on WIFI anyway.

Last 2 days it shows 650+mb for email and i have recieved about 50-100 emails and sent none.

I have it set to only download the first 2k of the email as i get a lot of junk and lots i dont actually bother reading, i have always had my emails set to download every 15 mins but now changed that to 2 hours so no idea why its using so much data.

I am using IMAP on our own server and the Note 3 is fine and uses minimal data for the same account and the Iphone using the same but my partners email address on the same domain and server is also fine on 2gb.

I have Googled it and lots of people seem to have seen a similar issue.

Spoke to O2 and firstly got told that 4gb uses more data than 3g and offered to remove the 4g, well i have 4g on both the Iphone and Note 3 so as well as being rubbish (it should use no more data to connect to a server in 3g than 4g unless 4g has some kind of bad packet problem or packet loss) i tried to query the 2 people at O2 who told me this as i have been in the comms/IT business for 30 years and this is news to me, yep it uses it quicker i,e if your watchig a film it will be streaming ahead much quicker so you might download a lot more of the film you maybe never watch than you would on 3g but a 100k webpage should be 100k (give or take) on either system unless i am missing something.

Booked an O2 Guru visit for this morning got a text reminding me of my appointment, turned up only to be told the guy had called in sick first thing but nobody bothered to let the people with appointments or indeed head office know as when i called head office they tell me the only appointment they can sort out for today is at the exact same store !.

Manager of the store was LESS than helpful and tell me that i have used the data, so basically tuff its my fault, well if this is happenign to me and i have been in the IT business for some 30 years and had just baout every smart phone from the Nokia Communicator (bet half of you dont even knwo what that is lol) to the Note 4 and it can happen to me then they have a problem, he offers me an appointment in a stoe over an hour away each way which is too far or 100mb of data which i try to explain will last about 3 hours at the current rate. VERY unhelpful O2.

Call customer services who tell me i can book online and add 1gb of data, try to book online, only one availble is same store tommorow but it wont let me book as it says i already have a booking with my email address.

Try the online chat, that answers then i type my problem and it just dies with 'System Not Initalised' and wont re-connect at all.

Now on hold yet AGAIN for customer service 17 mins so far.

Firstly O2 SORT YOUR BLEEDING SYSTEMS OUT, YOUR SYSTEM IS NOT UNUSUALLY BUSY, ITS USUALLY BUSY, LOOK UP THE DEFINITION IN THE DICTIONARY. YOU NEED MORE STAFF, THE CUSTOMERS CAN SEE IT BUT OBVIOUSLY THE MANAGEMENT ARE EITHER BLIND TO IT OR STUPID.

Secondly has anyone else had the same problem

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

i dont usually like AV on mobile devices, think it slows them down too much and dont really see much point in them.

I still have it on phone but have disabled all the features Scans, Realtime protection, Message scanning etc.

I think any device connecting to the internet needs AV.

The fact that you disable aspects of McAfee does not deter it from doing its utmost to ruin your device.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 31 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for the advice.

Message 32 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us know how u get on @Anonymous , it has to be one of the usual suspects! It would be good to know for future reference and also to get this sorted for you of course! 

Message 33 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well quick update, i woke this morning to 18 emails, had 5 or so since, only read one on the actual device.

When iturned off all the Mcafee stuff last night it was 349mb email at 23.15
0.00 this morning it was 357 mb with minimal email say 5 or 6
1.06am it was 365mb with again minimal emails 1-5
This morning with the other 18-20 email its now 552mb

So still appears to be a problem somewhere.

Message 34 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a bit of digging yesterday and there are lots of posts like this and worse about data just draining for no reason so I'm beginning to wonder if there's any issues with the software itself...have you tried Samsung directly? To see what they think it is? 

Message 35 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
From past posts too @Anonymous this happens to iPhone users too on the O2 network.

Could it be how O2 handles data ?
Message 36 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I googled it when it first happened and LOTs of people are complaining about this on the Note, I have emailed Samsung but no reply.

Been doing a lot of end of year meail clearing up this morning on the desktop, I use IMAP for day to day and a local PST in Outlook to archive all the old stuff i will proberbly never need so my IMAP is not even that big, typically I only store 6 months worth of emails.

Going to delete it all from the phone and start again and also load another email client and try that, again had a few emails this morning and its currently at 593mb since yesterday morning ! nothing else is using data facebook, twitter, playstore or android in general so its not a general phone thing but specific to email.

Does seem to be a common problem but currently totally unsable if i leave the house my data is gone in no time.

Message 37 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just delete all accounts on our server (i use 2) it was 601mb gonna leave it for an hour and make sure it does not go up just in case its anything else causing it that i am un aware of then start to rebuild it and see.

Message 38 of 52

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94090 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

I would hazard a guess at the network. How  many are having problems on the other networks? I've not researched the problem as I have no data issues.

Message 39 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

None of the ones i found were O2, most were US based i think Verizon etc but seems widespread issue on various versions of the phone.

I am now monitoring it with no email account setup just to be sure its not a rogue app then i am going to install another email client and see how that goes then if thats ok finally re-install it on the built in app and remove the other one and if it returns then i have at least narrowed it down to the email client or i rogue app.

At least if we know where to look it narrows it down a bit.

Message 40 of 52