cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 4 - MASSIVE email usage for no reason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had Iphones, Note 3 for many years, 1gm now 2gb data and NEVER gone over my limit, since i have had the Note 4 it appears to be using stupid amount of data for email and despite my data resetting on 15th i am now back to having used 2gb and most days its on WIFI anyway.

Last 2 days it shows 650+mb for email and i have recieved about 50-100 emails and sent none.

I have it set to only download the first 2k of the email as i get a lot of junk and lots i dont actually bother reading, i have always had my emails set to download every 15 mins but now changed that to 2 hours so no idea why its using so much data.

I am using IMAP on our own server and the Note 3 is fine and uses minimal data for the same account and the Iphone using the same but my partners email address on the same domain and server is also fine on 2gb.

I have Googled it and lots of people seem to have seen a similar issue.

Spoke to O2 and firstly got told that 4gb uses more data than 3g and offered to remove the 4g, well i have 4g on both the Iphone and Note 3 so as well as being rubbish (it should use no more data to connect to a server in 3g than 4g unless 4g has some kind of bad packet problem or packet loss) i tried to query the 2 people at O2 who told me this as i have been in the comms/IT business for 30 years and this is news to me, yep it uses it quicker i,e if your watchig a film it will be streaming ahead much quicker so you might download a lot more of the film you maybe never watch than you would on 3g but a 100k webpage should be 100k (give or take) on either system unless i am missing something.

Booked an O2 Guru visit for this morning got a text reminding me of my appointment, turned up only to be told the guy had called in sick first thing but nobody bothered to let the people with appointments or indeed head office know as when i called head office they tell me the only appointment they can sort out for today is at the exact same store !.

Manager of the store was LESS than helpful and tell me that i have used the data, so basically tuff its my fault, well if this is happenign to me and i have been in the IT business for some 30 years and had just baout every smart phone from the Nokia Communicator (bet half of you dont even knwo what that is lol) to the Note 4 and it can happen to me then they have a problem, he offers me an appointment in a stoe over an hour away each way which is too far or 100mb of data which i try to explain will last about 3 hours at the current rate. VERY unhelpful O2.

Call customer services who tell me i can book online and add 1gb of data, try to book online, only one availble is same store tommorow but it wont let me book as it says i already have a booking with my email address.

Try the online chat, that answers then i type my problem and it just dies with 'System Not Initalised' and wont re-connect at all.

Now on hold yet AGAIN for customer service 17 mins so far.

Firstly O2 SORT YOUR BLEEDING SYSTEMS OUT, YOUR SYSTEM IS NOT UNUSUALLY BUSY, ITS USUALLY BUSY, LOOK UP THE DEFINITION IN THE DICTIONARY. YOU NEED MORE STAFF, THE CUSTOMERS CAN SEE IT BUT OBVIOUSLY THE MANAGEMENT ARE EITHER BLIND TO IT OR STUPID.

Secondly has anyone else had the same problem

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126087 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Have to agree with @MI5 idata settings isn't the issue. APNs would be wrong and there would be no mobile data access. My emails are I map and set to push and I'm using the Note 4 with 4 yahoo accounts, 2 Gmail and a Virgin Media account.

Only the Virgin Media is through the native app. I use nothing like the figures stated. What app are you  using?

Blimey @jonsie you had better hope I don't get any email problems like this with my Note 3....I didn't understand much of that..... Sounds very clever though....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well got the text saying my settings had been changed, reset the phone,i was sceptical as i had been using the Note 4 on the same settings for a year and that worked ok and this is the same Android and Email program bascially. Nothing appears to have changed, i have recieved about 50 emails today, not read any of them on the phone and its set to only download 2k eithe ron mobile or WIFI and not to download attachments (their were none as far as i am aware) total email today 345mb !, i reset it this evening and it went up 50mb in about an hour and its set to get email every 2 hours. Luckily tonight it was on WIFI so not using up my data.

I have fired up the Note 3 and tried that (it aready had all the settings for email exactly same account and despite it having to retrieve all the headers for 1 month back, it still used less than 10mb).

Not a server issue as this proves i think but something on the Note, its not rooted, got Mcafee anti virus thingy O2 supplied, dont really use any weird programs, nothing that i would be worried about, its not sending or if it is then its not doing it via my outgoing server as thats our server and i checked the mail queue and its not sending anything form my account.

Puzzled, one other thing that did happen was yesterday the WIFI went funny in that it showed it was off even though it was switched on, the on was already selected and I was at home so the WIFI was recognised and working, took a bit of fiddling before it finally went back on WIFI, now this might be a red herring and maybe just a silly glitch but its been rock solid on WIFI, i have never dropped WIFI with either the Note 3 or 4 at home.

Message 22 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone asked the app i am using, email wise just the basic Samsung one, our servers are Linux based using a plesk setup, the other accounts on the server all work on various phones with no problem as does my account on the Note 3.

Message 23 of 52

MI5
  • 149586 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Turn off McAfee....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 24 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mcafee is one thing i dont have on the Note 3 as it came with the Note 4, will try that now.

Thanks again

Message 25 of 52

MI5
  • 149586 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
I don't have it on mine and nor would I.
If you must have an AV prog (not necessary in my opinion) try Lookout.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 26 of 52

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Turn off McAfee....

More trouble than it's worth on PCs and laptops.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 27 of 52

MI5
  • 149586 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
Turn off McAfee....

More trouble than it's worth on PCs and laptops.

Seconded.....

Message 28 of 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest I usually use AVG if anything as we use it with some of our customers but for some weird reason if i did not take Mcafee with O2 my monthly bill would be more ?, figure that one out ! so i thought well if i have it why not try it.

Like you say i dont usually like AV on mobile devices, think it slows them down too much and dont really see much point in them.

I still have it on phone but have disabled all the features Scans, Realtime protection, Message scanning etc.

was at 349mb for the day on email when i just did it so see what happens now, be nice to be back to 15 minute emails as have them downloading in backgorund again, currently thats switched off on mobile as well.

Message 29 of 52

MI5
  • 149586 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Let's hope for the best......
Message 30 of 52