cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Mode Disabled - KitKat 4.4.2

Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't appear to have been covered for a while, but since there appears to be no real information concerning this anywhere that I can find I'm resurrecting the issue again.

I've recently updated from JB 4.3 to KK 4.4.2 and in "Network mode" the option to permanently lock on to either 2G or 3G has gone: it's 3G or nothing. I'm not concerned that it will automatically switch over to 2G if there's no 3G signal - I need the facilty to permanently switch my phone to 2G.

I spoke to a not particularly helpful person on "Live Chat" yesterday evening who clearly didn't have a clue what i was talking about, so where was his product knowledge and awareness? He simply ended up repeatedly saying I would be receiving an "update" which for his part was the end of the conversation., most likely prompted from his PC screen which didn't have any answers.

Now this is a known issue on the o2 network, and as far as I'm aware this does not affect any of the other networks and is regardless of the device used. I'm not concerned with workaround apps to access the testing menu to change the network mode in there as this is worse than inconvenient: what i want to know are o2 actually going to bother to fix this issue because at this point in time it appears apparently not.

If anyone from o2 will kindly provide an honest answer to this question it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to those who care to respond,

Malc

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This question has been posed quite a few times and again tonight.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/O2-guru-s-Woking-store-issue-with-Galaxy-S4-with-w...

@Toby is looking into it.

O2 dont tell us here what and when things like updates are being released for phones software.

slight_frown

Message 2 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
We asked earlier today for an update on this from O2 - We're still waiting.
@Toby, this is a further example of the request in this thread.....
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/O2-guru-s-Woking-store-issue-with-Galaxy-S4-with-w...
*Flagged for Toby*
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

The issue appears to me that o2 are either in denial of the problem or that they simply don't care. What really annoyed me last night was being fobbed off with the lame excuse that I would be receiving an "update" and that it wasn't going to be discussed further.

I've used the chat service a couple of times with good results but please don't fob me off with that BS - I work in a callcentre and know the drill! Anyway, kick ass and see what happens! lol

Message 4 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144717 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
We'll most likely get no further tbh as they don't like giving out "secret" info wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
We'll most likely get no further tbh as they don't like giving out "secret" info wink

I'll await Toby's update and then comment.

Message 6 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
It beggars belief that the network with the worst 3G user experience would do this anyway!

Anyone would think they want you go purchase their 4G plans!
Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked about this on twitter when i got the update. O2 blamed Google as i got my Nexus 4 from the Play Store. i downloaded an app called Network to switch 2G/3G as i like to keep it locked to 2G.Play store link

Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is exactly what I use but its not the most convenient solution.

So they're blaming Google? Rather strange how its not affecting the other networks so perhaps they should start looking at themselves first.

Message 9 of 26

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Below is some some FAQ info on 2G:

What's happened to my 2G switch?
We've made a change on some devices on our network to make sure they will always connect to the fastest part of our network, including 4G where available. This means you will always get the best data experience possible when you use your phone.

But I locked my phone to 2G because I could make calls. What do I do?
We’d recommend using TU Go, an app that lets you make calls over Wi-Fi for the price of a normal voice call. TU Go is great for people who have signal issues but strong Wi-Fi and is a free download in all the major app stores.

Did you do this because you have a poor network?
No. We want our customers to have the best data experience when using their phone to get online so are making sure phones will always connect to the fastest part of our network.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 26