cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Mode Disabled - KitKat 4.4.2

Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't appear to have been covered for a while, but since there appears to be no real information concerning this anywhere that I can find I'm resurrecting the issue again.

I've recently updated from JB 4.3 to KK 4.4.2 and in "Network mode" the option to permanently lock on to either 2G or 3G has gone: it's 3G or nothing. I'm not concerned that it will automatically switch over to 2G if there's no 3G signal - I need the facilty to permanently switch my phone to 2G.

I spoke to a not particularly helpful person on "Live Chat" yesterday evening who clearly didn't have a clue what i was talking about, so where was his product knowledge and awareness? He simply ended up repeatedly saying I would be receiving an "update" which for his part was the end of the conversation., most likely prompted from his PC screen which didn't have any answers.

Now this is a known issue on the o2 network, and as far as I'm aware this does not affect any of the other networks and is regardless of the device used. I'm not concerned with workaround apps to access the testing menu to change the network mode in there as this is worse than inconvenient: what i want to know are o2 actually going to bother to fix this issue because at this point in time it appears apparently not.

If anyone from o2 will kindly provide an honest answer to this question it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to those who care to respond,

Malc

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
No comment 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 26

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

Below is some some FAQ info on 2G:

What's happened to my 2G switch?
We've made a change on some devices on our network to make sure they will always connect to the fastest part of our network, including 4G where available. This means you will always get the best data experience possible when you use your phone.

But I locked my phone to 2G because I could make calls. What do I do?
We’d recommend using TU Go, an app that lets you make calls over Wi-Fi for the price of a normal voice call. TU Go is great for people who have signal issues but strong Wi-Fi and is a free download in all the major app stores.

Did you do this because you have a poor network?
No. We want our customers to have the best data experience when using their phone to get online so are making sure phones will always connect to the fastest part of our network.

Toby

Please can this request me forwarded to the relevant team.

In response to your answer above.

This is affecting all users ios and android etc.

1 The solution of Tugo is not available at present to over 50% of client base (payg and business)

2 In fringe areas with partial 3g this will render any of those above no longer to select the 2g network and be uncontactable as no tugo.

3 increased battery usage as the phones still hunt for 3g in non 4g enabled areas when users only want 2g for battery life reasons and as in 2.

I hope this information will help o2 implement either a 4g/3g off switch or both options 4g off 3g off.

Adam Temperton

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 12 of 26

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Just to add to Adam's points:-

i)This also affects Blackberry 10 users in addition to iOS and Android.

ii)TU GO is not an option where there is no WiFi signal either.

iii) In some areas I go to where there is a poor 2G and no 3G signal, there is not even gprs data available, so the phone is hunting for a non existent 3G just for voice calls, even if mobile data is switched off.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

Below is some some FAQ info on 2G:

What's happened to my 2G switch?
We've made a change on some devices on our network to make sure they will always connect to the fastest part of our network, including 4G where available. This means you will always get the best data experience possible when you use your phone.

I don’t want an always on “faster” 3G connection. I don’t need it at work where 2G is more than sufficient to push me the odd email; I don’t need it at home where I have WiFi; and most importantly I don’t want 3G unnecessarily draining my battery. 

But I locked my phone to 2G because I could make calls. What do I do?
We’d recommend using TU Go, an app that lets you make calls over Wi-Fi for the price of a normal voice call. TU Go is great for people who have signal issues but strong Wi-Fi and is a free download in all the major app stores.

What???!!! You're a telecoms provider and you're suggesting people make their calls over WiFi??? Unbelieveable and patronising, and your suggested app hardly gets a glowing review on the Store, either.

Did you do this because you have a poor network?
No. We want our customers to have the best data experience when using their phone to get online so are making sure phones will always connect to the fastest part of our network.

Repeating yourself from the first point. Intially o2 were trying to blame Google but no mention of this here, so are you simply and blatantly denying your customers the freedom of choice? If I'd have wanted that I'd be on iOS.

Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh Dear, where do you start with this, at least i now know that this is a planned change by O2 and as such renders my phone unuseable unless i select 2G from the test menu.

The switching between 3G and 2G is set to such a low level that it renderes my handset useless on O2

As for using Tu? might be OK for some if  have WiFi but even then the quality and echo rule this out as an option fo me.

I'm paying for data and minutes ---- i want them both to work

Message 15 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm paying for data and minutes ---- i want them both to work

A very reasonable request. 

Message 16 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got my Orange SIM PAYG today to test in the Nexus4 and can confirm that the 2G / 3G toggle is still available, i can confirm as well that their 3G signal actually works and i can make/receive calls and use the data network.

I read the other day that Ofcom have given O2 until 2017 to fix their 3g network to provide outdoor coverage to 99% of the UK polulation, the Q then is if they can't have a decent 3G network by 2014 why are they trying to push 4G

Looks like it's so long O2 it's been nice knowing you.....

Message 17 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Disappointing. I have a Moto G with KitKat and "3G" is the only option under "Preferred network mode". I'm on Giffgaff but it looks like it's an O2 policy decision that affects all O2-based providers.

As someone who rarely uses mobile data, 3G is of little interest to me and I'll happily take the battery savings offered by preferring 2G. However O2 seem to have decided I'm not allowed to do this.

Thankfully GSM Auto can still be selected by dialling *#*#INFO#*#* and going "Phone information", but it's wrong of O2 to try and make it harder for us to choose our own network mode.

As far as I know, EE and Vodafone have not chosen this course of action.

Hopefully O2 will reverse this decision at some point and let us use our own phones how we want.

Message 18 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

There was an announcement yesterday by O2 that the option was going to be reinstated across all platforms in future updates.

Post by Chris_K here

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5, I hadn't seen that. Good news. slight_smile

Message 20 of 26