Did you mean: 

LG G5 GPS - not finding any satellites

cmgibbs
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello.

I've recently tried using the location services on my LG G5 device and noticed it was very inaccurate. After trying the different accuracy settings (network+wifi, gps, both) it seems the GPS doesn't work at all - when set to use GPS only there is no location detection whatsoever. When trying GPS Status applications there is no connection and the 'Time To Find' number just steadily increases (over 10 minutes, for example) without any change.

I have tried restarting and resetting the phone, neither has had any effect. Users on other networks seem to think the 'v10d' software update may have resolved this issue but this is not yet available on O2.

So, next steps I need advice on:

1- Can I update to 'v10d' software using the VODAFONE update file, or is this a bad idea?

2- When will O2 release the 'v10d' software update for LG G5?

3- Do I need to have my phone replaced (hardware issue)?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

cmgibbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes - just to clarify I have the 'location' option turned on. I get an approximate location using mobile/wifi but nothing exact enough to be GPS.
Message 11 of 21

cmgibbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
MI5 - I've just tried updating my software through LG Bridge and it tells me I have the latest version so I assume it's looking for a network-locked version. Do you know anywhere I can find an unbranded LG software version?

Thanks
Message 12 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The best place to try would be on XDA.
Just make sure you get the correct model code.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 21

cmgibbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Does the version linked on this page look correct as far as you know?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/how-to/h850-v10d-available-t3392268

"v10d OPEN EUR version" -- I assume in this case EUR includes UK?
Message 14 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Looks to be the correct one but I'm not in a position to try it to confirm.
Open EUR will be fine to use in UK though. Are you locked to O2 network as I know Sammy phones need unlocking before flashing, not sure about LG ones though.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 21

cmgibbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Understood. Good question about being locked - I have the phone directly from O2 so it may very well be locked, is there a code I can type in to check this that you know of?

Thank you again for all your input here - really appreciated.
Message 16 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm not sure if this works but it's the old service mode entry for any LG phone
*#546368#*xxx#
where xxx = device variant, e.g. 850 for the international unlocked version (H850)

Currently using:
Message 17 of 21

cmgibbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That has indeed loaded a HiddenMenu - I'll have a dig around to try and find the relevant option.
Message 18 of 21

cmgibbs
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Right, so, I've put myself on v10d as that was fairly simple to do, but I'm still not getting anything from my GPS. I've even tried the GPS Test option within the HiddenMenu accessed through your suggested code and I'm not getting anywhere... which is making me think this might be a hardware issue. Do you know how I proceed with this?
Message 19 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'd say you have tried and tested everything and proven it to be hardware related, so my next stop would be to give LG a call http://www.lg.com/uk/support/contact/telephone
and I would certainly be sending it to them directly for a repair rather than O2.
Give them a call as they might have some ideas that we haven't thought of.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 21