cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet abroad - Tethering?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just found out that the place Im staying in Austria has no internet for five weeks...is there any way I can tether my phone and use that internet without it being too expensive? Is there a bolt on for this so it doesnt cost 2 quid per 15mb?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147274 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28302 Solutions
Unfortunately no bolt ons available for that. A local SIM card would be your cheapest option if no wifi is available.
Make sure your phone is unlocked before you go.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147274 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28302 Solutions
Unfortunately no bolt ons available for that. A local SIM card would be your cheapest option if no wifi is available.
Make sure your phone is unlocked before you go.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you do take your own sim to use ensure you turn off voicemail too.

Dial 1760.

I would go with the use a local sim and use this form to unlock your phone.

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%...

Free for contract customers and £15 for payg (t&c apply)

Also if Your intending to tether your phone to a computer or tablet your data allowance will not last very long at all.
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do o2 offer any data roaming bundles or internet options as a temporary solution as Im going to need to use my laptop..this is why i thought i could connect via my phone. Its only needed for a month

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the official link for o2 travel.

Take a look.

http://www.o2.co.uk/international/o2-travel

For further clarification ring o2 Customer Services on 202 contract or 4445 payg.
Message 5 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Do o2 offer any data roaming bundles or internet options as a temporary solution as Im going to need to use my laptop..this is why i thought i could connect via my phone. Its only needed for a month

The answer is no you are best buying a local dongle for the laptop  and pay as you go allowance. An internet search of austrian providers should help you. 10euro gets 10gb on one provider

O2 will remove o2 travel and let you have 300mb for £120 in each billing period.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 6