cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Access

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having difficulty accessing the Internet when not connected to Wifi. I get one GB of data a month but the phone only works on wifi. When not on wifi, the signal icon shows "G" and the upload / download arrows flash intermittently but I cannot access any web page / email etc.

its a Samsung Galaxy s3

please advise me what is wrong and how to fix it.

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
In that case why doesn't it work any better outside my house, in my street, the next street and the next etc etc

Assuming you've tried cleaning the sim and restarting the phone, if no faults show here using your full postcode:

http://status.o2.co.uk/

report it to O2.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Sounds as though you only have a 2g signal. Does this happen everywhere or just in one place? Check in Settings >More settings >Mobile Networks >Network Mode and choose "Auto"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Check your area for 3G/3G 900 coverage here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks both of you but problem still there. Setting is as at auto and my a area should support 3G. Also I notice at times the 3G symbol appears just for a second and disappears
Message 4 of 21

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
What about outside or in different areas? Town centre for example?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ill try that tomorrow and see what happens. will get back to you
Message 6 of 21

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Let us know how it goes - Need to see if it's phone or location issue....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well a bit better at my workplace get an "H" above signal whatever that means and it is more useable but very dissapointing that I'm not getting 3G. The coverage map on O2 website shows good coverage for my area so please advise me if you can.

Message 8 of 21

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
H is 3G but it is enhanced, ie faster 3G so phone is working fine, it's just your indoor 3G coverage at home so you need to switch to GSM when at home and you will get a solid signal for calls and texts. Connect to your home wifi for data and you won't suffer from slow downloads either.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats great. Thank you very very much. Where will I find the option to select GSM?
Message 10 of 21