cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Access

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having difficulty accessing the Internet when not connected to Wifi. I get one GB of data a month but the phone only works on wifi. When not on wifi, the signal icon shows "G" and the upload / download arrows flash intermittently but I cannot access any web page / email etc.

its a Samsung Galaxy s3

please advise me what is wrong and how to fix it.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144506 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
Settings >More settings >Mobile networks >Network Mode and select "GSM Only"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gsm isnt much different. To be fair I use wifi at home and get ehanced 3g at work so I can cope with things as they are however am annoyed in that I went for o2 based on the coverage map on o2 site which is clearly inaccurate and not honest. Will probably not renew contract when it is up . Again thank u for your help . The instruction book for the phone tells you what buttons do but not what yhe function is.
Message 12 of 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Gsm isnt much different. To be fair I use wifi at home and get ehanced 3g at work so I can cope with things as they are however am annoyed in that I went for o2 based on the coverage map on o2 site which is clearly inaccurate and not honest.

It's not at all dishonest, a provider cannot allow for interference to the signal caused by building construction materials etc, it's a wireless signal not magic I'm afraid.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
In that case why doesn't it work any better outside my house, in my street, the next street and the next etc etc
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know anybody else on O2 who has the same problem? Maybe someone else in the house?

Message 15 of 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
In that case why doesn't it work any better outside my house, in my street, the next street and the next etc etc

Assuming you've tried cleaning the sim and restarting the phone, if no faults show here using your full postcode:

http://status.o2.co.uk/

report it to O2.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
No but a friend using "3" gets better results. The coverage map shows my whole town to have the same good cover indoors and outdoors but this is clearly not the case.

Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you try your sim card in a different phone?

Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, That probably explains things. Not a good enough signal for internet. it's a pity the main coverage screen doen't show this. Thanks for your help. That's magic!!

Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Think the live status checker explains a lot. Its a pity the O2 coverage screen isn't as detailed, as it says good coverage indogrs and out but this obviously refers to phone calls and texts not internet.
Message 20 of 21