cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing 3G signal threshold?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Samsung Galaxy Y on O2 and I'm having a bit of a problem with the 3G signal downstairs in my house. Basically, instead of using the stronger EDGE signal, it uses the weak 3G/HSDPA signal which is only ever 0-1 bars and makes calling unreliable. I know I can turn off 3G in the settings, but it's a pain having to do this in my house and then having to turn it on again when I'm outside the house in a stronger coverage area when I want to use data. Is there a way to stop it from locking onto the 3G signal when there's only a very weak signal? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There are apps that you can get off Play which put the shortcut on your homescreen or in your notification bar which saves you from having to go through all the menus - Might be easier for you. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curvefish.widgets.network2g3gonoff&feature=search_...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes there is a way, which is the thing you don't want to do because its inconvenient to you.

Unforunately its the only way to stop it locking onto 3G.
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah, OK - thanks! I guess I'll just have to get used to going into that settings menu whenever I go outside slight_smile
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There are apps that you can get off Play which put the shortcut on your homescreen or in your notification bar which saves you from having to go through all the menus - Might be easier for you. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curvefish.widgets.network2g3gonoff&feature=search_...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
That'll do nicely. Thanks!
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No problem slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6