cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 app shows data being used but I'm connected to WiFi!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

This evening I have had my iPhone connected to my home wi-fi, as I always do at home, but on checking the MyO2 app a couple of times the data usage is slowly increasing!

Why is this? Using my home wi-fi should not count towards my data allowance surely?

It's definietly connected to the right wifi network, I checked in settings, and it shows full wifi signal...

I'm concerned!

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried downloading a free app called Onavo available on iPhone/Android devices?

The app monitors how much mobile data is being used by the apps you have downloaded on your phone (e.g when your phone is in sleep mode/not in wifi area) so you can see which ones are eating up your data.

It also gives you the option of restricting an app to wifi (if there is just one or two apps that may be using up lots of your mobile data), so that these apps will only automatically update when your phone is connected to wifi, instead of mobile data (3G) therefore freeing up more of your data allowance on 3G.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93250 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

When your iphone goes into sleep mode wifi is switched off and mobile data will be used by the apps updating constantly.

Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried downloading a free app called Onavo available on iPhone/Android devices?

The app monitors how much mobile data is being used by the apps you have downloaded on your phone (e.g when your phone is in sleep mode/not in wifi area) so you can see which ones are eating up your data.

It also gives you the option of restricting an app to wifi (if there is just one or two apps that may be using up lots of your mobile data), so that these apps will only automatically update when your phone is connected to wifi, instead of mobile data (3G) therefore freeing up more of your data allowance on 3G.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

As with many others, I have had huge ghost data usage at midnight. I have tried several things on my Iphone but now would like to monitor monthly data usage against my O2 monthly account but can't find it in 'my account'. Could someone please tell me how to monitor data usage on the Iphone , from my PC.  Many thanks.

Message 4 of 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You aren't using data at midnight, that is when O2 update your account with what you have used that day.

This thread is a year old and a bit out of date now.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Ok things have changed since this old thread was started.

Assuming on ios7 settings mobile/ cellular > you can see data usage and per app and can reset it each month in line with account reset day.

The midnight on the bill is the summarey of the whole days usage not usage at midnight.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 6