cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5s - 3G hardly works. Never connects to wifi hotspots

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

Ive had problems with my iPhone 5s for a while and it's really frustrating me. I dont know if it is the phone or O2.

Most of the time when 3G is showing, I cant connect to internet etc. This happends in various area's including Newcastle Quayside, Gateshead MetroCentre, Nottingham City Centre and various other places.

If there is a wifi hotspot in the area, the phone will sometimes connect via wifi settings > connect to network. It will try to launch a sign in page with URL something like "airport.us" and will just hang. I have to switch the phone off and on then connect to wifi and display the hotspot login page if I am lucky. I have been in hotels and had my laptop & work Blackberry on Vodafone pick up and connect to the the wifi hotspot without any issue's.

In the Cellular settings ai Have a setting to 'enable 4G'. This appeared after an update to IOS (cant remember which release). It may be a conicidence, but Im sure these issue's happend when this option appeared. I dont have a 4G contract. Swirching this setting off and on somestimes turns 3G off and on. Othertimes it does nothing.

Has anyone else had issue's like this ?

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Not personally and travel for work a lot

I would book an apple genius appointment and get the handset checked.

My 5s on a 4g contract swaps between all the options depending on locaiion for data  gprs edge 3g and 4g and wifi connects fine in costa coffe, mcdonalds, motorway services etc.

Congestion can be an issue in city centers on 3g data/calls but check on http://status.o2.co.uk for local issues.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Not personally and travel for work a lot

I would book an apple genius appointment and get the handset checked.

My 5s on a 4g contract swaps between all the options depending on locaiion for data  gprs edge 3g and 4g and wifi connects fine in costa coffe, mcdonalds, motorway services etc.

Congestion can be an issue in city centers on 3g data/calls but check on http://status.o2.co.uk for local issues.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 2