cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei no longer getting Android securityupdates.

SteffTJ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Google announced they're no longer working with Huawei. So this means no software updates including security updates.

I'm 1 month into a contract with a P30, would they let me swap handsets? Don't feel like going 2 years without feature or security updates!
Message 1 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

manlikeadam
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

every ones missing the point in this 

we as the consumer taken out our contrat with 02 thats who we deal with we dont need or have to deal with huawei we deal with 02 thats our first port of call if the deviced cant be secure in a timely manner and its stopping us from get big updates like android q as when the device was purchased android q was promised it would be one of the first devices to get it doesnt matter who was promoting this 02 has a duty of care towards its customers the device will not be fit for purpose and it should be 02 taking this up with huawei not us as we got the phone from 02 not huawei 

Message 61 of 97

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Headline news on BBC now.

Apparently, you wouldn't be able to use Google maps or YouTube as well as not receiving any Android updates.

It's being called a 'Cold War in Technology'.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 62 of 97

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@manlikeadam Hear, hear! It's this exactly which is the issue.
Under UK rules O2 must take the hit if it's argued the device is no longer fit for purpose.
O2 may then want to fight it out with Huawei / Google but that isn't the consumers problem.
Message 63 of 97

Daryld1988
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

exactly this phone was purchased from o2 therefore it is there responsibility to see that there customers issues are rectified if this means o2 recalling huawei phones then that has to be the case but consumers can not be expected to pay a contract for a device which no longer functions how it was originally sold to do so, i am however all on for o2 chasing this matter up and getting there own resolution against either huawei,google or the government but there main priority 1st and foremost should always be to make sure that its customers interests and protections are 1st and foremost as if o2 decide to leave there customers in a position like this with no remedy and a customer left with a paperweight it will speak volumes about how o2 value there customers

Message 64 of 97

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is stance from O2 on Twitter @Chris_K can you confirm 

We continue to monitor statements from Huawei and Honor, and Google so that we can keep our customers updated. Google have confirmed that for existing Huawei and Honor smartphone users things will stay the same for now, and customers don’t need to take any action.

Message 65 of 97

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Message 66 of 97

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That's good news for some anyway @viridis 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 67 of 97

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Thanks for the O2 statement on Twitter @viridis and it's pretty much a standard non-committment stance we come to expect from O2. Hopefully they will put out  a moreinformative statement once any legal implications have been explored.

Message 68 of 97

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Bambino is absolutely right in what he says. We are all customers here, and while we can sympathise with your concerns, can do nothing to alleviate those concerns.

You need to speak to Huawei and Google to get an exact picture of what wiil and won't happen. And then based on the facts you're given speak to O2 Customer Services; do not use Live Chat who, in this type of situation would be of no help at all.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 69 of 97

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I don't have a Huawei phone. That does not mean that my opinion does not matter.
Why are people saying that their phones are no longer fit for purpose? Have any of the following stopped working: calling, sending and receiving texts, using apps?
Why are people saying that their phones are not of satisfactory quality? Are they defective (broken), or do not complete the functions that made you choose to buy it in the first place?
Finally, why are they not described? Is there (or was there) somewhere written down that you would have Android OS updates for a given period of time? Have any of the specifications of the phone changed since you purchased it?
I suspect that the answer to all of the above are no, and the issue is that you might not get any software updates in the near future.
I have an LG phone (v30). The last update I had was the Jan 2019 security patch. There have been 7 issued since then (counting released ones on here: https://source.android.com/security/bulletin) but I am not panicking that I have missed anything...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 70 of 97