cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei no longer getting Android securityupdates.

SteffTJ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Google announced they're no longer working with Huawei. So this means no software updates including security updates.

I'm 1 month into a contract with a P30, would they let me swap handsets? Don't feel like going 2 years without feature or security updates!
Message 1 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@madasaf1sh Just to clarify, this is not an executive order. It is just an addition to my idiot President's blacklist in this unnecessary trade war with China. There is another article this morning https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/19/google-suspends-some-business-with-huawei-after-trump-blacklist.html saying this: "Holders of current Huawei smartphones with Google apps, however, will continue to be able to use and download app updates provided by Google, a Google spokesperson said, confirming earlier reporting by Reuters." 

So there's no need for this panic that some customers have posted about.

@Peter247  With reference to your last comment, the manufacturer and O2 did not withdraw their support for your device. Your issue would be with Google, so good luck there. In any event, if my link above is accurate and correct, this is nothing but a storm in a teacup.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 41 of 97

Daryld1988
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

tbh as a huawei mate 20 pro user and had this phone on contract since november i see it as o2 needs to chase up huawei on this as when you take out a contract its split into 2 parts now you have a device plan and then you have your carrier plan which includes your calls messages and data,

now while o2 is providing the calls messages and data with no issue at all they are effectively still expecting there customers to pay a device plan to them for a phone which is basically deemed not fit for purpose anymore, especially in regards to privacy and security which in todays world is 1 of the biggest concernsand affects messaging and more worryingly banking apps,

if for example this was a car and you were paying this car off on finance and it was declared not fit for purpose you would then expect that car to be replaced at no cost to the buyer but this is the approach o2 should be taking in that they are the ones that are financing the phone out as a device and charging a monthly fee so during that contract period that phone should continue to do what it was originally sold to do and in this case it no longer is

i think everyone can see that its a bad place for o2 to be in aswell but millions of customers simply cant be allowed to take the fall for something out of there control, o2 is in a much stronger standpoint in that they have a direct cashflow to huawei and use huawei for most of there 4g modems and masts from what i believe so it is up to o2 to put the pressure on to huawei to resolve this issue or to also cut ties with them which if more companies do it will effectively kill of huawei as a company

but for certain members to state o2 has no responsibility to its customers here when it sells the affected companies products then that is laughable as if you are happy to accept the profits from said companies phones then you also have to be prepared to accept any comeback on any failings of that product otherwise the integrity of your company is next to nothing

Message 42 of 97

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Daryld1988 Please read the article in the link I just posted above. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 43 of 97

Daryld1988
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino i have read through it previously today and the security mentioned in that statement is in regards to the google play protect which covers the play store from malicious apps this does not mention actual security updates in regards to patching the actual software security updates which fixes and exploits or security flaws within the software which is the greatest risk here its similar as to what happened with windows xp in the matter that it no longer receives the vital security updates to stop malicious software and viruses from exploiting flaws or holes in said software

Message 44 of 97

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Bambino

USA Today reports back in April, about an executive order

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/05/15/trump-signs-executive-order-telecommunication...

As it falls under the National Emergency - Telecommunications Suppliers.

@Daryld1988 o2 and telefonica have no power over the US Government as a Spanish / UK Company, and nor do Huawei as a Chinese Company.

Go to Google as they enacted the order.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 45 of 97

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@Daryld1988 Reading through it previously is not the same as reading it today, as Google's stance on support has already changed, as shown in the article I posted above.
If you're looking for some sort of compensation from O2 on an issue that they have absolutely no control over, then you are living in Dreamland.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 46 of 97

Daryld1988
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh they have no power to do with the governments i agree but they are selling the goods and are responsible for the product while it remains under contract as is stated in the consumer act and if a device is no longer fit for purpose or different in how it was when you originally purchased said item then it lies with o2 to resolve that issue as they are the supplier for the phone, it will be the same for any other network company that sells this phone the buck stops with them and it will be up to them to provide the customer a resolution though i do feel o2 and other said network operators should be entitled to chase up huawei or said governments but when you take out a phone on pay monthly its called a contract phone for a reason there is a contract there which states your rights as a consumer and these rights in regard to how this phone now operates has been changed significantly and the security of the device is now pretty much compromised rendering it useless for messaging and banking apps

Message 47 of 97

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@madasaf1sh The article you referred to has to do with 'equipment', which is probably referring to 5G infrastructure and not software. All this with Huawei's phones is new and a separate issue.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 48 of 97

Daryld1988
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino at what point did i mention compensation? what i believe would be the reasonable outcome is for a recall on huawei phones and for o2 to allow the customers to pick a different phone that is fit for purpose and then o2 take the matter up with huawei or refuse any more payments to them as a company, multiple companies have already ceased trade with them such as intel qualcomm and a german firm now also so i definately dont think im living in dreamland id also imagine that the 2 people that have an issue with my views here dont have a huawei phone atm joy

Message 49 of 97

Bambino
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Daryld1988  I would say that your request for a recall from O2 is asking for a form of compensation, and I would also take a wild guess that it would fall on deaf ears. You're correct. I don't own a Huawei phone, but I'm also using common sense. What has occurred has nothing to do with O2. They provided you with a phone that uses the Android OS. That's as far as their commitment goes. Find a clause in the Terms & Conditions that backs up what you're claiming. It isn't O2's fault or responsibility to provide you with a different phone because of an issue that is completely out of their control. Go ahead and call customer service and ask. I wish you good luck. Please come back and tell us what they say. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 50 of 97