cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei no longer getting Android securityupdates.

SteffTJ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Google announced they're no longer working with Huawei. So this means no software updates including security updates.

I'm 1 month into a contract with a P30, would they let me swap handsets? Don't feel like going 2 years without feature or security updates!
Message 1 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

IanProudfoot
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ten minutes on the phone to O2 and they have agreed to the P30 Pro's return. It was a very easy process. If you are still within the 14 days return/exchange window then it's the obvious thing to do. I'll miss that phone!

Ian

Message 31 of 97

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm sure you will be one of many to do the same.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 97

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Nice one, I feel like those of us with the Mate 20 Pro may have more of a fight on our hands...
Message 33 of 97

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Interestingly looking at the EE Twitter they seem to be giving out false information and generally avoiding the issue.
They seem to have confused Google Play Protect which scans for malware etc. and proper Android System security and OS updates.
Message 34 of 97

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Huawei has announced that they will continue support for existing phones. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-usa-android/huawei-to-support-its-devices-after-googl...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 35 of 97

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

This has nothing to do with o2, but a spat between China and the USA, which has forced Google to remove Updates from Huawei devices and stop services on new handsets (yet to be released).  As Google (Android) are a US registered company, and as such they have to blindly follow the executive order from a despot president. 

I cant see o2 etc giving anyone a refund / free upgrade for this.. I would be reaching out to Huawei and asking for their response

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 36 of 97

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-usa-android/huawei-to-support-its-devices-after-googl...

I imagine this will be minimum support. You can certainly kiss Android Q goodbye!

I imagine Huawei will be scrambling to get their own OS built and on devices.

Whilst it is not the fault of any of the UK mobile network operators there needs to be a statement issued, preferably stating that customers can get a refund if they so wish on any handset purchased within the last year.

Message 37 of 97

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Peter247 wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

I imagine this will be minimum support. You can certainly kiss Android Q goodbye!

I imagine Huawei will be scrambling to get their own OS built and on devices.

Whilst it is not the fault of any of the UK mobile network operators there needs to be a statement issued, preferably stating that customers can get a refund if they so wish on any handset purchased within the last year.

Getting a refund should also be included in what you're imagining, @Peter247. Why should refunds be issued for phones purchased in the last year when this withdrawal of support was only announced yesterday, and completely out of the control of the companies who sell these phones?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 38 of 97

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Peter247 i would be going to the US Department of Justice and asking for your £600 back, o2 and Huawei havent removed support the US President and Google have following an executive order..

So your claim is against them...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 39 of 97

Peter247
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Getting a refund should also be included in what you're imagining, @Peter247. Why should refunds be issued for phones purchased in the last year when this withdrawal of support was only announced yesterday, and completely out of the control of the companies who sell these phones?

Consumer Rights Act, goods have to be of satifactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.

Now had the phone been over a year old I would have said that yes it's annoying but manufacturers are well known for stopping support after a year because they've already moved onto their new flagship.

However given that the Mate 20 Pro is still on sale, and is well under a year old (ignoring that warranties are 2 years under EU regs anyway) it is not unreasonable to ask O2 to replace the handset under warranty or the Consumer Rights Act.

Technically O2 are allowed an attempt at repair before refund, but they cannot repair this issue, nor replace it with the same model.

Again I completely agree that it is not O2's fault. However the contract for the device (either puchased outright or on contract) is with them, not Huawei. Therefore they are the ones that will need to do something.

Now granted everyone is panicing about this now but it's important to get companies to respond before people's devices become too old and O2 can simply say no. If they dither for a few months then people will lose out on any potential replacement/refund.

Message 40 of 97