Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please (abroad)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123288 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi, as some of you will know I am in Spain...was very wary of taking new Samsung S3 with me as it would be the first time on contract and unsure of all the ins and outs. Did as you suggested and turned mobile data and data roaming off as I only want to phone and text...Have been here since saturday and all well...until today! Phoned my daughter in UK..all connected chatting away and then we were cut off..(well we were still connected but she couldnt hear me, I couldnt hear her!) Tried again anotther 4 times and the same happened again and again. Luckily i had brought my PAYG mobile with me and rang her on that. No problems. Rang CS on 202 and she said she would refund the connection fee as a goodwill gesture but maybe it was a network problem? I didnt think it was as my PAYG phone on same network (Movistar) and that didnt drop out. So whilst in the middle of the call to CS phone dropped out again! So guys I am asking if you have any ideas? Its going to be an expensive do if I get charged 50p every time i make or receive a call only for it to drop out after a few minutes!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
O2 and Samsung both use a company called Anovo (which are fairly useless, but it's the best we've got), so it makes no difference where you take it, however, there are dedicated Samsung repair centres http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION and some Carphonewarehouses have on site repairs so either of these would be better in my opinion.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123288 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions
OK MI5 thanks. I think I will take it to an O2 shop as its nearer than the repair centres you sent the link to.Also as its less than 2/12 old, I presume its still on warranty as I wont want to be paying for any repair!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 39

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It should be covered by the warranty but I would take photos of the phone in pristine condition before you send it off and get the store assistant to confirm with you that there is no cosmetic scratches etc.

Not trying to alarm you but we've heard stories of O2's repairers claiming cracked screens and water damage in the past. I'm sure it will be fine though.

Message 33 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123288 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Thanks for that info Jonsie.....but haha.. REALLY? MY Samsung S3?? Cracked screens /water damage?? You know the one...its the S3 thats in a cover (like a Mills and Boon book according to my son!) The only S3 in the world that is so underused regarding all the apps/widgets on it. It is in a more pristine condition than when I received it, I can assure you (if thats possible). So bring it on O2, just try and tell me this 2/12 old phone, handled by a 68yr old retired nurse, is damaged by me in any way!! Seriously though I take your point and thanks for the advice wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 39

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Hope they sort it for, you really shouldn't have a problem. I'm just old and cynical!:smileywink:

Message 35 of 39

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Don't leave your SIM or memory card in the phone when you take it in either.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 36 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123288 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Good grief! As you can see I never had a contract phone, (or one that needed to go in for repair before now) so this is all new to me. So when I get it back, having taken the sim and memory card out, will I have lost anything? All my contacts are saved to sim, but messages, emails, pictures? Also if its sent away, I shall be using my old PAYG motorola so am I able to ask O2 for a refund on tariff? Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 39

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
I would back up the phone to Kies first (just to be safe). They shouldn't need to touch the phones software if it is an antenna issue, but they may try other things which could potentially wipe everything off your phone. O2 may give you a goodwill gesture but I would wait until you got the phone back and then call CS to see what they can offer you in way of compensation.....

Currently using:
Message 38 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123288 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions
Thanks all...and just when I thought i was 'getting used' to this phone (by my standards) its all a bit sad that I have to send it back after 2/12 use! Will do all you advise, (well my husband will do the backing up).. lets see what happens.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 39