Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please (abroad)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123132 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi, as some of you will know I am in Spain...was very wary of taking new Samsung S3 with me as it would be the first time on contract and unsure of all the ins and outs. Did as you suggested and turned mobile data and data roaming off as I only want to phone and text...Have been here since saturday and all well...until today! Phoned my daughter in UK..all connected chatting away and then we were cut off..(well we were still connected but she couldnt hear me, I couldnt hear her!) Tried again anotther 4 times and the same happened again and again. Luckily i had brought my PAYG mobile with me and rang her on that. No problems. Rang CS on 202 and she said she would refund the connection fee as a goodwill gesture but maybe it was a network problem? I didnt think it was as my PAYG phone on same network (Movistar) and that didnt drop out. So whilst in the middle of the call to CS phone dropped out again! So guys I am asking if you have any ideas? Its going to be an expensive do if I get charged 50p every time i make or receive a call only for it to drop out after a few minutes!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your welcome we are here to help enjoy the sun and hope it gets sorted for you
Message 11 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123132 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Just to update you and fingers crossed, Samsung now seems to be working ok on calls. Had the motorola payg with me as backup but about 2 hrs ago I had a call from my son to my S3 and it didnt drop out. I have since called him back and no problem. Just wondering whether it may have glitched if samsung are updating any software today? (only mentioning it as I havent a clue really) ...though on this phone (whilst in Spain) mobile data and data roaming are off (as just texting and phoning)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Glad it appears to be working now maybe your call to o2 did do something after allSmiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123132 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Ok folks. Still in Spain and after thinking this problem of my S3 'dropping out' had been resolved (magically after my call to CS) it appears it has not. Yesterday it started again for no reason (A reminder... on this S3 I am on unlimited tariff and expect to pay 50p every time i make or receive a call..after that, up to 60 mins the call is FREE. As it was my first time abroad with this phone i took my old motorola PAYG K1 with me. Both are on the same network in Spain ie Movistar. my call to CS today gave me no joy other than she suggested i took my sim out of S3 and put into Motorola! (me the technophobe, reminded her S3 has a microsim and Motorola has not!) She then said well if i found a phone shop in Spain they would use something that would enable my microsim to be used in motorola. I came very close to losing it at this point. I said I had gone onto contract in good faith expecting to save money whilst in Spain and now, not only was i being charged every time this samsung dropped out and i had to redial my contacts..she was suggesting I trail around looking for a shop in Spain blah blah blah. to cut this rant short, she then put me onto the supervisor who was lovely...she could see how many times i had attempted to make calls lasting 1-2 mins before dropping out...I told her voicemail was OFF. mobile data and data roaming oFF (my choice. The upshot is..I have to wait till i get back home (weds) and then ring again or take it into a shop. My problem with all this is....I go to Spain 6-8 times a year and now feel so disappointed that I cant trust this phone. I said to my family THANK GOD for my old trusty Motorola PAYG as that continues to call and text with no problems at all. I know you probably cant help me now but having had your help with loads of posts getting me all set up for my Spain trip and this damn NOT SO SMARTPHONE..I just want to have a rant and let off steam...Sorry guys but I am gutted. Yours sincerely, a very despondent Cleoriff Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 39

MI5
  • 144683 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
It's not good at all and feel for you.... Do you happen to notice if the signal bar on your phones drops when you lose the call or does it always show a good signal ?

Can you try to make a call with the phone just sitting on a table top. Do not touch the phone (use the handsfree speaker function) also can you dial *#1234# and let me know what firmware you are on please.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123132 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi MI5. Ok a) Signal never drops b) Havent tried the phone handsfree as after posting this I made a call for 10 miins to someone in Spain and it didnt drop out (this seems intermittent) and c) Firmware... reads as follows AP: 19300XXELLA, CP: 19300BWELKI, CSC:1930002UELL2. (Seems like gibberish to me the technophobe, but thats what it reads!)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 39

MI5
  • 144683 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Hi, first thing there is a firmware update available that you haven't got. If you can connect to a wifi signal, go to settings >about device >software update and see if you can download it (you might get a message saying "the update is available to users in the order they request it", which just means the server is busy, so keep trying). If you can try phone in handsfree next time you call back to the UK let me know if it helps or still drops out pls. Incidentally, which hand do you hold the phone in (or which hand when the call drops out), is it in your left hand ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123132 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions
OK...well I will have to wait till I leave the apt to try and get Wifi (as we don't have it in my building) but definitely will try that. As for which hand do I use... it is usually my right hand Mainly because i have a protective leather cover on and it sticks in my eye if I hold it in my left hand (I just BET you are rocking with laughter at that...my son reckons no-one would try and steal this phone as it looks like a book with its cover on!:))

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 39

MI5
  • 144683 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Hmmmmmm, I'm always a bit dubious of covers on phones. They "may" have an effect on signal too wink

Currently using:
Message 19 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 123132 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions
I JUST knew you were going to say that MI5 hahaha..you are obviously just like my son in that respect! however joking aside, I take the point but the cover will stay on (and let people think its a book) However I take note re the firmware update and try and get that sorted. Could I ask why the question about the hand? (As a nurse I am wondering whether (L) hand means 'interference from heartbeat?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 39