cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC One S - keeps restarting, no network coverage

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday my HTC One S started doing some strange things.  It has started rebooting at random maybe every 2 hours or so.  Last night, when it restarted signal never came back.  The signal strength indicator showed no bars with an X and the registered network text was No Service. Going into Mobile Network settings it said that Airplane Mode was permanently in a state of Turning off... Obviously I couldn't call, text or connect to mobile Internet.  Searching around it seems that turning off Fastboot in the Settings|Power menu and restarting has restored the Mobile Network (calls, texts and Mobile Internet) and Airplane Mode is now off properly.  The phone still randomly reboots. 

I upgraded to Android 4.0.4 on the OTA which came out a couple of weeks ago.  Since then, and up until yesterday, the phone was fine though. 

Any ideas?  Anyone know what Fastboot actually does and why it can affect connection to the mobile network? 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

This issue is affecting others as well. There is a thread on the Vodafone website as well detailing your exact problem. It all started after the latest software update. I would contact HTC and notify them of your problem, as many of us have done, also push O2 to contact them as well to get an update. The more they know about it and the more people who put pressure on them, the quicker it will be resolved. I contacted HTC and they said suggested getting a new SIM card, and then a factory reset. None worked.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/HTC-One-Series/HTC-One-S-Stuck-in-Airplane-Mode-when-Turning-on/m-p/1...

This is a copy of someone else's posting that details the issue:

have not used Airplane mode for months.

I don't have any pin or other security on turning on or waking the phone.

I have always switched it OFF when I go to bed.

I switch it ON when I get up in the morning.

Yesterday it took me a while (I don't function too well in the morning) to realise that the phone was showing no signal on the notifications bar but the WiFi was working fine so I wasn't bothered. When I realised it wasn't a local Vodafone fault (no people on Facebook moaning) I started playing with the phone.

On turning off it seems the phone gets stuck trying to switch OFF Airplane mode and stays this way when turning on. The Airplane mode toggle is greyed out and won't work under settings and the Airplane mode option is greyed out and unaccessible on the menu when pressing the power button. It also says there "Switching OFF Airplane mode......" (or very similar).

As I said earlier I've not used the Airplane mode for a long while.

Doing a "Restart" from the power button menu seems to clear it then.

So why isn't the phone doing a "Restart" from being off?

This would seem to be the question which needs answering.

During the restart it does flash a notice on the notification bar about "Removing" a "Restriction" (or similar) but it doesn't hang around to be read.

Good luck and keep pushing them.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149940 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions
Have you installed or updated any apps that correspond with the time the rebooting started?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 10

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
did u interrupt the update?
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

This issue is affecting others as well. There is a thread on the Vodafone website as well detailing your exact problem. It all started after the latest software update. I would contact HTC and notify them of your problem, as many of us have done, also push O2 to contact them as well to get an update. The more they know about it and the more people who put pressure on them, the quicker it will be resolved. I contacted HTC and they said suggested getting a new SIM card, and then a factory reset. None worked.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/HTC-One-Series/HTC-One-S-Stuck-in-Airplane-Mode-when-Turning-on/m-p/1...

This is a copy of someone else's posting that details the issue:

have not used Airplane mode for months.

I don't have any pin or other security on turning on or waking the phone.

I have always switched it OFF when I go to bed.

I switch it ON when I get up in the morning.

Yesterday it took me a while (I don't function too well in the morning) to realise that the phone was showing no signal on the notifications bar but the WiFi was working fine so I wasn't bothered. When I realised it wasn't a local Vodafone fault (no people on Facebook moaning) I started playing with the phone.

On turning off it seems the phone gets stuck trying to switch OFF Airplane mode and stays this way when turning on. The Airplane mode toggle is greyed out and won't work under settings and the Airplane mode option is greyed out and unaccessible on the menu when pressing the power button. It also says there "Switching OFF Airplane mode......" (or very similar).

As I said earlier I've not used the Airplane mode for a long while.

Doing a "Restart" from the power button menu seems to clear it then.

So why isn't the phone doing a "Restart" from being off?

This would seem to be the question which needs answering.

During the restart it does flash a notice on the notification bar about "Removing" a "Restriction" (or similar) but it doesn't hang around to be read.

Good luck and keep pushing them.

Message 4 of 10

macblank
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
Having scanned the postings I can see no.one knows how it happened or how to stop it. Although it would appear the update does seem to be a factor.

Has HTC commented?
Samsung Galaxy S3

Message 5 of 10

macblank
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
They this, it's the email address.of the.CEO.of HTC.

Phil_Roberson@htc.com

Good luck
Samsung Galaxy S3

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Only the OTA update.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, the update ran to completion. The phone was working fine for several days after updating but before the rebooting and airplane mode issue started.
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird; my two previous replies should have had quotes in of the posts they were replying to. 

Anyway, I did a factory reset yesterday and I haven't had a reboot since (over 24 hours).

Message 9 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Weird; my two previous replies should have had quotes in of the posts they were replying to. 

Anyway, I did a factory reset yesterday and I haven't had a reboot since (over 24 hours).

Quotes seem to be working, try them again.:smileyhappy:

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 10