cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 roaming problem with voice calls

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Samsung GS8 and have just returned from Austria. I am on pay monthly with O2 Travel enabled.

On arriving, the phone did not connect to a local network without turning it off/on. Network is set for Automatic selection.

After it connected I was able to use data (emails, messenger etc) but any time I tried to make a voice all, I got a 'not registered on network' error. Eventually had to connect to a WiFi and use Tu to make calls. 

Customer Service had no answers- all my account settings are apparently OK. Does anyone have a similar experience and is there an answer? Next time I'm away I don't have the luxury of WiFi so really need voice calls working in Austria/Italy

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144091 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
There may have been a fault with voice on the network you were connected to at the time.
Difficult to know really.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144091 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

Logically it would be a local  network problem.
If it happens again try a manual network search and choose a different network.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10131 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions
If you get a not registered on network error as @MI5 has said this is a local network error and your sim hasnt latched onto the local network correctly.

Which network in Austria where you trying to connect onto?
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know which network my phone was connected to. 

I appreciate the fact that a phone may not latch correctly to a roaming partner; my query (or rather interest, from a technology perspective) was why voice calls were 'not registered on the network' but data was connected and operative. 

I thank you both for your input- I think I'll just have to see how things work in Italy during my next trip!

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144091 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
There may have been a fault with voice on the network you were connected to at the time.
Difficult to know really.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

mavericke
Level 3: Thinker
  • 83 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
In addition to the solution provided, it might also be a good idea of you to lock your mobile carrier to one network in the future when you are within the EU zone.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144091 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@mavericke wrote:
In addition to the solution provided, it might also be a good idea of you to lock your mobile carrier to one network in the future when you are within the EU zone.

I agree if you are near borders with non EU countries but no need otherwise.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7