cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S4 Sound Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

All, I've recently discovered an anoying issue that has developed with my Galaxy S4 GT-I9505. All of a sudden, the ear-piece speaker has stopped working. Not only that but the headphone jack sound quality is now terrible.

This is the same using any music app and also phone calls.

So I thought that maybe the hardware was faulty so I replaced the earpiece speaker but this hasn't solved anything. Then I considered it to be a software issue so I restored to factory settings but this hasn't solved it.

Any ideas?

Ta.

Melbra

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144506 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
Most likely an issue with the sound chip which would have been warrantable assuming no damage had occurred due to dropping etc....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23115 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3684 Solutions

It's highly unlikely that home insurance or bank account cover would honour any policy either. They would also check to see if the manufacturer's seals were broken. This is probably going to wind up being an expensive DIY mistake.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 25

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I agree. Possibly not wanting to be without the phone for any length of time but a mistake nonetheless.

Message 13 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate all of your concern over the DIY issues, rest assured that I had previously replaced the screen and LCD since I smashed thephone about 6 months. The warranty was long gone I'm afraid. Replacing the earpiece speaker is small fry in comparison. 

Really I was looking for suggestions on what people thought it was rather than whether I'm a responsbile DIYer or not.

Message 14 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
As you've worked on it it could be anything tbh.

You could take it to a shop for a diagnostic as a second opinion.
Message 15 of 25

MI5
  • 144506 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Really I was looking for suggestions on what people thought it was rather than whether I'm a responsbile DIYer or not.

Fair comment but we're not mind readers - You need to give us all the info that may be relevant to the question you are asking wink

ps, I'm still going with motherboard issue.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well that's true and I appreciate everyone's responses.

If it is a motherboard, how easy are these to source/change?

And as an FYI, I'm pretty well experienced with fixing phones/computers, etc. I have been dealing with them for 17 years.
Message 17 of 25

MI5
  • 144506 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
Changing it is easy - Getting hold of one will be the biggest problem.....
You be better off trying to source another phone with a working MB to use as parts - Maybe one with a smashed display etc.
Even if you could get a new MB you wouldn't be able to programme it with the IMEI so would be useless to you.......

Currently using:
Message 18 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, this isn't looking very positive. I did read elsewhere that the solution could be an app but I can't remember what it's called. I'll look again.

Message 19 of 25

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

If it's a hardware issue an app isn't going to help.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 20 of 25