cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S4 Sound Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

All, I've recently discovered an anoying issue that has developed with my Galaxy S4 GT-I9505. All of a sudden, the ear-piece speaker has stopped working. Not only that but the headphone jack sound quality is now terrible.

This is the same using any music app and also phone calls.

So I thought that maybe the hardware was faulty so I replaced the earpiece speaker but this hasn't solved anything. Then I considered it to be a software issue so I restored to factory settings but this hasn't solved it.

Any ideas?

Ta.

Melbra

Message 1 of 25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK so I've found the app and it's called Soundabout. This is where you can define where the sound is routed instead of the app deciding.

Both the ear piece speaker AND headpone jacks now work....for now.

So far so good.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Have you worked on the phone yourself via DIY ,when a 2 year warranty exists on Samsung phones.

Unless you're dropped it or similar.

If you haven't and Samsung have then approach them Via the uk support site.

Or look at home contents insurance or bank account cover if it includes mobile cover.
Message 2 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Having done what you've done I can only guess the issue is with the motherboard.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Would the OP tampering with the phone themselves have voided the warranty?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
If they have broken the seals on the handset to carry out work ,then yes unless carried out by an authorised engineer.
Message 5 of 25

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Having done what you've done I can only guess the issue is with the motherboard.....

I agree, certainly sounds like the sound chip or associated circuitry is faulty or damaged. The speaker shouldn't affect the headphone out unless the OP has created a short circuit somewhere in that area.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 6 of 25

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Well the phone would have had to have been opened to replace the speaker, which would obviously break any manufacturer's seal, so there's little or no point in them trying to have the phone fixed under warranty or insurance.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
The manufacturer would not replace / repair under warranty due to their own T&C.

Which is why I said in my first reply "Have you worked on the phone yourself via DIY ,when a 2 year warranty exists on Samsung phones."

Home insurance or bank account cover usually have the phone sent to them and replace it with a new / refurb. If the phone is beyond repair / lost or stolen and falls into their own T&C
Message 8 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
It was certainly a mistake to attempt the the repair on a DIY basis, if that was the case here ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally agree with a 2 year warranty available.
Message 10 of 25