cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP using hot spot connection

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Does anyone know why using the O2 network to use FTP (via a hotspot) will not work to any server? I recently switched to O2 as the network coverage out here in the country was bad on my previous supplier, and we have no broadband available at the house yet.  

The connection seems to be eroded by the network filtering/doing something odd with their internal NAT and causing the TLS authentication to fail.  Is there anyone who has encountered the same issue and managed to overcome it?

Thanks, Richard. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Might be something that @Chris_K can help you with?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

tyddynonn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have exactly the same problem - TLS connections work fine over my vdsl connection (also with O2) but not over 4G. No luck at all with O2 tech support.

And now it's started dropping FTP connections at random....

Anyone any suggestions?

Message 3 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Maybe certain ports are blocked and not authorized by default. Generally speaking you would not expect some one to be using ftp over 4g.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 8

tyddynonn
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 Tech support told me no ports are blocked over 4G - but then, the guy I was talking to didn't know the difference between Active & Passive Mode FTP, so I'm not hopeful.

As to why FTP over 4G - well, when the best vdsl connection you can get is 4.5Mbps and 4G is 20Mbps then it's the only realistic way of supporting a web development process....

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2 always say that be we've proved it in the past.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

tyddynonn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks MI5 - how did you prove it to O2?
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
By getting a connection on a different port.
There are some threads on here somewhere from previous testing.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8