cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email - struggling with sending email

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.  Recently got myself a Samsung Galaxy S4.  No problem at all receiving emails but I simply cannot get it to send! I have tried all sorts of settings, including the ones published on O2 such as smtp.o2.co.uk.  What am I doing wrong?

PS Have been with O2 for years using the same number so its not a change in service provider.  Had no problems sending/receiving with the Blackberry I had prior to this new Samsung.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I appear to have stumbled by chance on a combination that resolves it.  Used port 143 and 25 respectively if anyone else finds it useful.

Thanks for trying to assist.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I would set up a new email address with Gmail using the app on your phone.

Unless you are, or were, an O2 Broadband user the O2 Email service has been shut down so you cannot use their servers.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately the email address is a work address so I don't have ability to change it to a gmail account.  Worked fine yesterday with Blackberry but not today with new phone - I don't get it?  And all my colleagues who stuck with their blackberrys can receive and send fine on this email address, so its just me in the wilderness.

I saw on one help page that you could select from drop down box a variety of ISPs.  Mine didn't appear, which is gxn.co.uk.

Another said to register myself with O2 to get an account so I could use smtp.o2.co.uk but this doesn't seem to help either.

Message 3 of 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I saw on one help page that you could select from drop down box a variety of ISPs.  Mine didn't appear, which is gxn.co.uk.

Another said to register myself with O2 to get an account so I could use smtp.o2.co.uk but this doesn't seem to help either.

No you can't register with O2 as the email service is closed down as I said above!

You need to contact gxn and find out the addresses and port numbers for their incoming and outgoing email servers.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, but new to this and puzzled.

I have the gxn settings already supplied to me - as I mentioned earlier my Blackberry is working fine with these.

So if I asked gxn for the settings as you suggest, surely they will just give me the same info?

I wouldn't have imagined they give different settings for different phones.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I appear to have stumbled by chance on a combination that resolves it.  Used port 143 and 25 respectively if anyone else finds it useful.

Thanks for trying to assist.

Message 6 of 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I doubt we could have given you those settings only gxn would know them.

Message 7 of 7